Gluten Free & God Seeking

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Southwest Turkey Soup

  This soup is a Southwest twist to an American favorite. I was a bit skeptical when I saw this recipe in one of the school cookbooks I've picked up.  But I had a turkey carcass that I wanted to make into some soup.  Only trouble was it was spring and not Thanksgiving so I decided to try out this recipe which by the way can be made any time of year!

   Both the peppers and seasoning in this soup give it just the right amount of Southwest kick that you would expect in this kind of soup.  It was good!


Southwest Turkey Soup

 1.  Prepare turkey stock:   Put 12 cups of water into a stock pot and cook a turkey carcass for 1-2 hours on medium heat with the juice of 1/2 a lime to  extract nutrients.



2.  Prepare vegetables:

(1)  Chop 1 large onion.
(2)  Mince 1 large clove of garlic.
(3)  Coarsely chop 1 red and green pepper.
(4)  Mince 1-2 medium jalepeno pepper (depending on your taste).
(5) Finely chop 2 medium carrots.
(6)  Dice 1 stalk of celery.

3. Saute vegetables:  Put 2 T of butter or coconut oil into a large skillet sauté onion and garlic for 3-5 minutes.  Stir in the red and green peppers, jalepeno, carrots, and celery.  


4. Simmer soup: 
(1)  Add vegetables to the stock pot. 
(2)  Stir in 1 15 oz can of tomatoes and 1 cup of frozen corn.
(3)  Stir in spices:  1 T of salt, 1 tsp. of black pepper, 1/2 tsp. of cumin, 1 1/2 tsp. of oregano, and 2 tsp. of chopped cilantro.
(4)  Let soup stock and vegetables simmer for 1 hour or more.
(5)  Add  the juice of half a lime.
(6)  Taste and make any adjustments.

List of My Favorite Soups, Chili & Stew Recipes

Beef 
Grandma's Favorite Beef Stew  (My mother-in-law's delicious recipe!)
Just Like Home Ukrainian Borscht  ( a Polish student  said this tasted like his mom's!)

Poultry
This is the Best Gluten Free Minestrone Soup!   (A recipe my son modified)
Mouth Watering Italian Turkey Sausage Soup   (This is  my friend Debbie's recipe)
Mexican Fiesta Chicken Soup   (A recipe I got years ago from a Mexican cookbook)
My Thanksgiving Turkey Soup  (My very own special concoction!)
Gary's Incredible Gluten Free Arkansas Gumbo  (Given to me by a Bible study friend)
Jeannie's French Market Soup  (A mom friend from when my kids were little)
Southwest Turkey Soup  (From my Syre School cookbook)

Fish
Northwest Salmon Chowder  (From my Heritage School cookbook)

Bean & Legumes
Vi's Best Chili  (A  Bible study friend's great recipe)
Bethany's Crowd Pleasing Tortilla Soup  (One of my daughter's friends special soup)
Country-Style Lentil Soup   (From my heritage School cookbook)

Vegetable
Creamy Pumpkin Soup  (from Food Network)
My Favorite Gluten Free Pumpkin Curry Soup  (Combo from Food & All Recipes)
Downright Delicious Potato & Kale Soup  (From my daughter-in-law's family cookbook)
Garden Vegetable Soup  (From my daughter-in-law's family cookbook)

Asian
Chinese Chicken Soups  - Bok choy chicken, chicken & spinach, and chicken & cabbage
Make Your Own Gluten Free Chicken Pho!  (From a newspaper article)
Gluten Free Chinese Hot Pot  (Modified by a Chinese student)
Chinese Egg Drop Soup  &  Chinese Egg & Tomato Soup  (Adapted from our students)

No comments:

Post a Comment