Gluten Free & God Seeking

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Gary's Incredible Gluten Free Arkansas Gumbo


  Our friend Gary who moved here from Arkansas 1 1/2 years ago finally shared with me his personal recipe for gumbo!  He's brought it a few times to our Friday night dinner and Bible study with college students.  And everyone who's had it, loves it!! 

   One thing that's a bit different about this gumbo is he told me he doesn't  make a roux for it.  I did that the first time I made gumbo, and it does take extra time. But after making Gary's gumbo, I didn't even miss it.  

My Come & Dine church cookbook also has a recipe for gumbo in it, and so I tweaked Gary's recipe by adding more spices. 
 The combination of vegetables and seasonings really gives this gumbo a nice kick.   I served this gumbo with my banana nut muffins and homemade applesauce.

GARY'S INCREDIBLE ARKANSAS GUMBO

1. Prepare vegetables:

(1) Chop up a large onion.

(2)  Mince 5 cloves of garlic.

(3) Chop up 1 green bell pepper.

(4)  Slice 1 1/2-2 cups of okra or thaw 20 oz of a package of frozen okra. (You can use half of this if it seems like too much)

(5) Chop 2 stalks of celery. 

(6)  Chop up 2 T of parsley.


2.  Prepare chicken broth:  
(1)  Cut the fat off of a 3-5 lb  chicken
(2)  Put it into a soup pot with 10 cups of water.
(3)  Stir in 1 T of salt and 1 T of lemon juice.
(4)  Bring to a boil and then let the chicken broth simmer for 20 minutes.
(5)  Put the chicken on a plate and debone it. (You will add the chicken back later.)

3.  In a skillet:  Sauté the onion, celery, and green pepper for 4-5 minutes and then add the minced garlic and sauté for 30 seconds longer.  

4.  Combining ingredients:
(1)  Add the vegetables to the chicken broth.
(2)  Add 1 15 oz can of tomato sauce and 1 of diced tomatoes.
(3) Bring to a boil and then let simmer 15-20 minutes.
(4)  Then add spices (These come from my church Come & Dine cookbook):  2 bay leaves, 1 T paprika, 1 t oregano, 1 t thyme, 1 t oregano, 1/4 t rosemary, 1/4 t cayenne pepper, 1 t salt,  1 T chopped parsley, and 1 1/2 T of Worcestershire sauce.
(5)  Then add the chicken back in along with the deboned chicken, 1 pound of sliced chicken sausage, 1/2 to 1 pound of shrimp, and meat from 1 crab leg (this addition is from my Come and Dine).
(6)  Add the okra and parsley.
 (7)  Let this cook on low for several hours, stir occasionally.  ( I like to use my crock pot.)
(8) Taste and adjust the seasonings before serving.

List of My Favorite Soups, Chili & Stew Recipes

Beef 
Grandma's Favorite Beef Stew  (My mother-in-law's delicious recipe!)
Just Like Home Ukrainian Borscht  ( a Polish student  said this tasted like his mom's!)

Poultry
This is the Best Gluten Free Minestrone Soup!   (A recipe my son modified)
Mouth Watering Italian Turkey Sausage Soup   (This is  my friend Debbie's recipe)
Mexican Fiesta Chicken Soup   (A recipe I got years ago from a Mexican cookbook)
My Thanksgiving Turkey Soup  (My very own special concoction!)
Gary's Incredible Gluten Free Arkansas Gumbo  (Given to me by a Bible study friend)
Jeannie's French Market Soup  (A mom friend from when my kids were little)
Southwest Turkey Soup  (From my Syre School cookbook)

Fish
Northwest Salmon Chowder  (From my Heritage School cookbook)

Bean & Legumes
Vi's Best Chili  (A  Bible study friend's great recipe)
Bethany's Crowd Pleasing Tortilla Soup  (One of my daughter's friends special soup)
Country-Style Lentil Soup   (From my heritage School cookbook)

Vegetable
Creamy Pumpkin Soup  (from Food Network)
My Favorite Gluten Free Pumpkin Curry Soup  (Combo from Food & All Recipes)
Downright Delicious Potato & Kale Soup  (From my daughter-in-law's family cookbook)
Garden Vegetable Soup  (From my daughter-in-law's family cookbook)

Asian
Chinese Chicken Soups  - Bok choy chicken, chicken & spinach, and chicken & cabbage
Make Your Own Gluten Free Chicken Pho!  (From a newspaper article)
Gluten Free Chinese Hot Pot  (Modified by a Chinese student)
Chinese Egg Drop Soup  &  Chinese Egg & Tomato Soup  (Adapted from our students)

No comments:

Post a Comment