Gluten Free & God Seeking

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Get More Probiotics! Make Some Deluxe Japanese Miso Soup (Kenchinjiru)


  Miso is good for you.  Do you know why I like it? Because it's a great food source of probiotics.  But I wanted to find out what else it was good for so I  Googled it.  Everything I wanted to know about miso got answered on this site 10 Benefits and Uses for Miso.  Now that I know more, I will definitely be making it more often now!

  Anyway I made kenchinjiru last summer when I had two Japanese student boarders (sorry I forgot o jot down the website then).  They were delighted I had made it for them.
   
   Last week I made gluten free yakisoba and thought it would be fun to make an entirely Japanese meal.  I'll post the adzuki bean stir fry next week.  I told my son-in-law that I could eat this meal all over again it was that good!  


Deluxe Miso Soup - Otherwise Known by the Japanese as Kenchinjiru

1.  Prepare chicken stock:  Put chicken back/breast bone into a soup pot with 10 cups of water. Add 1 T of rice mirin and 1 T salt and cook for 1 hour.  Skim off any foam on the top of the soup.

2.  Meanwhile prepare vegetables:
(1)  Slice or chop 1 onion.
(2)  Slice 2-3  carrots on the diagonal.
(3)  Slice 2 stalks of celery on the diagonal.
(4)  Slice 1 daikon radish in rounds or cut in half.
(5)  Slice 2 potatoes in rounds or in wedges.
(6)  Slice 2-3 green onions to garnish the soup

3.  Combining ingredients:
(1)  Stir into the chicken stock 1/2 cup of red miso that's been dissolved in a bit of water.
(2) Then add vegetables to the pot of chicken stock and cook on medium low until tender.
(3)  When they're tender, add 10 oz of cubed tofu (We have had it with and without), 3 T sesame oil, 2 T gluten free tamari, and cook for a few more minutes or turn down to a simmer until you're ready to eat. (I really like to let this soup simmer to make it richer tasting)
(4)  Taste and make any adjustments.

Other Japanese recipes on this blog:

Easy Steps to Make Your Own Sushi!   (A Korean friend taught me how to make sushi)
Outstanding Gluten Free Sukiyaki   (A combination of recipes)
Delicious Gluten Free Yakisoba   (Modified from an Internet search)
Incredible Gluten Free Teriyaki Chicken  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Deluxe Miso Soup (Kenchinjiru)   (From an Internet search)


List of My Favorite Soups, Chili & Stew Recipes

Beef 
Grandma's Favorite Beef Stew  (My mother-in-law's delicious recipe!)
Just Like Home Ukrainian Borscht   (A Polish student  said this tasted like his mom's!)

Poultry
This is the Best Gluten Free Minestrone Soup!   (A recipe my son modified)
Mouth Watering Italian  Sausage Soup   (This is  my friend Debbie's recipe)
Mexican Fiesta Chicken Soup   (A recipe I got years ago from a Mexican cookbook)
My Thanksgiving Turkey Soup  (My very own special concoction!)
Gary's Incredible Gluten Free Arkansas Gumbo  (Given to me by a Bible study friend from Arkansas)
Jeannie's French Market Soup  (A friend from when my kids were little)
Southwest Turkey Soup  (From my Syre School cookbook)

Fish
Northwest Salmon Chowder  (From my Heritage School cookbook)
Almost Like Ivar's Clam Chowder (From my Come & Dine Cookbook)

Bean & Legumes
Vi's Best Chili  (A  Bible study friend's great recipe)
Bethany's Crowd Pleasing Tortilla Soup  (One of my daughter's friends special soup)
Country-Style Lentil Soup   (From my Heritage School cookbook)
Kathy's Texas Chili & Chips (From my Come & Dine cookbook)
Spicy Cuban Black Bean Soup (From a store recipe card)

Vegetable
Creamy Pumpkin Soup  (from Food Network)
My Favorite Gluten Free Pumpkin Curry Soup  (Combo from Food & All Recipes)
Downright Delicious Potato & Kale Soup  (From my daughter-in-law's family cookbook)
A Great Fall Soup - Make it From Scratch Corn Potato Chowder  (From my Heritage School Cookbook)

Asian
Chinese Chicken Soups  - Bok choy chicken, chicken & spinach, and chicken & cabbage (Modified from Internet search by our Chinese students)
Make Your Own Gluten Free Chicken Pho!  (Modified from a newspaper article)
Gluten Free Chinese Hot Pot  (Modified by a Chinese student)
Chinese Egg Drop Soup  &  Chinese Egg & Tomato Soup  (Modified  from a student's recipe)
Vegetarian & Gluten Free Tom Yum Soup (A delicious Thai soup) 
Deluxe Miso Soup (Kenchinjiru)   (Adapted from Internet search)
A Thai Mom Teaches Me How to Make Tom Yum Kung  (A student's mom's recipe)
A Vietnamese Cooking Lesson - Lien's Vietnamese Sweet & Sour Soup  (An International student's aunt's recipe)
Cooking Beef Pho for Vietnamese Students  (Modified Recipe)
Asian Curried Chicken Soup  (From my Come & Dine church cookbook)

No comments:

Post a Comment