Gluten Free & God Seeking

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Grandma's Favorite Gluten Free Beef Stew

   There's nothing like a bowl of mouth watering stew on a nippy winter night to make you glad it's January! This is my mother-in-law's (Grandma Marilyn's) stew.   It has definitely been her go to stew.    Make some rolls or muffins and add a salad and you're set!  






Grandma'a Favorite Beef Stew 

Before you start here's a preparation note:  This stew takes about 2 hours to cook!

1.  Prepare veggies:  
(1)  Dice up 4-5 carrots
(2)  Chop up 4-5 stalks of celery
(3)  Chop up 1 large onion
(4)  Cube 3-4  medium potatoes

2. Dredge package of 1 pd stew meat:  
(1)  Rinse and cut stew meat  into 1-2” cubes
(2)  Dredge in 2 T rice flour and  then put 4 T of olive oil into a soup pot or Dutch oven.
(3)  Brown the meat and the onion.

3. Add water, spices & veggies to the pot:
(1)  Then add 6 cups of water to the pot along with 1/4 cup of cooking wine, 4 tsp. small tapioca (or rice flour), 1 T gluten free Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 tsp. garlic powder (or I used 1 clove minced garlic),  1-2 tsp. of salt, and 1/2 tsp. black pepper. 
Note:  On July 23, 2014 I added 1 T of Beef Better than Bouillon, and then I tasted the broth and checked to see if I needed to add any more. It made the stew richer tasting.
(2)  Add all the vegetables.

4. Put in the oven and bake at 250 for 5 1/2 hours.

Blog Update 7-23-14:  Today I didn't have that much time to bake it so I left it in my Dutch oven on the stove for 1 1/2 hours on medium heat, and it came out great. 



List of My Favorite Soups, Chili & Stew Recipes

Beef 
Grandma's Favorite Beef Stew  (My mother-in-law's delicious recipe!)
Just Like Home Ukrainian Borscht  ( a Polish student  said this tasted like his mom's!)

Poultry
This is the Best Gluten Free Minestrone Soup!   (A recipe my son modified)
Mouth Watering Italian Turkey Sausage Soup   (This is  my friend Debbie's recipe)
Mexican Fiesta Chicken Soup   (A recipe I got years ago from a Mexican cookbook)
My Thanksgiving Turkey Soup  (My very own special concoction!)
Gary's Incredible Gluten Free Arkansas Gumbo  (Given to me by a Bible study friend)
Jeannie's French Market Soup  (A mom friend from when my kids were little)
Southwest Turkey Soup  (From my Syre School cookbook)

Fish
Northwest Salmon Chowder  (From my Heritage School cookbook)

Bean & Legumes
Vi's Best Chili  (A  Bible study friend's great recipe)
Bethany's Crowd Pleasing Tortilla Soup  (One of my daughter's friends special soup)
Country-Style Lentil Soup   (From my Heritage School cookbook)
Kathy's Texas Chili & Chips (From my Come & Dine cookbook)

Vegetable
Creamy Pumpkin Soup  (from Food Network)
My Favorite Gluten Free Pumpkin Curry Soup  (Combo from Food & All Recipes)
Downright Delicious Potato & Kale Soup  (From my daughter-in-law's family cookbook)

Asian
Chinese Chicken Soups  - Bok choy chicken, chicken & spinach, and chicken & cabbage
Make Your Own Gluten Free Chicken Pho!  (From a newspaper article)
Gluten Free Chinese Hot Pot  (Modified by a Chinese student)
Chinese Egg Drop Soup  &  Chinese Egg & Tomato Soup  (Adapted from our students)

No comments:

Post a Comment