Gluten Free & God Seeking

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Coming to the Lord in His Word - Taking a Look at John 5:39

     How many times have you read the Bible on autopilot?   I know I've done it, and many times I'll have the inward feeling that I just read the word of God just like a newspaper.  Did anything touch me?  Did I meet God in the verses I just read?  On Friday night we talked about this with the college students, and we all had similar stories.  I guess it all boils down to did you touch the Lord in His word? I want this to be my daily aspiration.

     The verse that we read was John 5:39 "You search the Scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is these that testify concerning Me.  Yet you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life."  Hidden in this verse is the Lord's heart that when we read His word we would come to Him.  This past week I was listening to a message while making some banana bread and the person was talking about being believers that are constituted with the truth in God's word.  He said the written word of God is like a container, but within it is hidden the divine life.  Even the Lord made it clear to them, "Yet you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life." 

      At the end of the passage we were reading was a great prayer:  "Lord Jesus, I come to You.  I want to know You as my life.  I want to see who You are from this printed page.  This is not merely a book; this is a revelation of Yourself.  Lord Jesus, shine on Your Word and anoint every line that I may see You and contact You."

Blog update 5/8/13:   This video segment published by Bibles for America entitled  A Time with the Lord which is based on a booklet by the same name that is published by Living Stream Ministry has some neat fellowship on spending time with the Lord.  

Blog Update 5/22/13:   You can order your own free copy of this booklet from Bibles for America.

Blog Update 7/25/13:  I heard a new song from the New York City Young People's CD Into My Heart entitled I am the Living Bread based on John 6:51.

Other  College Student Dinner Fellowships on This Blog:

Do You Have the Assurance of Your Salvation? 

What are the Securities of Your Salvation?

Hearing God - Dinner Fellowship with College Students

Why Should a Believer Get Baptized?

Why Should We Read the Bible?

Coming to the Lord in His Word

Did You Know God Made You With Three Parts?

What is the Key to Experiencing Christ? - A Fellowship with College Students

Calling on the Lord Makes a Difference! 

What's the Secret the Third Generation of Mankind Found?

Why Are Just 2 Trees Mentioned in Genesis 2?

Discussion with College Students--What is the Church?

Why are There Two Trees in Genesis 2 Anyway?  Part 1

Why are There Two Trees in Genesis 2 Anyway?  Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment