Gluten Free & God Seeking

Thursday, January 26, 2012

What Happens When You Read the Bible?

     Have you ever thought about what happens to you when you open up the Bible and start reading it? I was a sophomore in high school when I began to read my Bible every morning while I ate my bowl of cereal before dashing outside to catch the bus. Over the years I've had days where I've missed or times where I was in autopilot and didn't really get much out it, but I've kept reading. The Bible is an amazing book--every time you read it, you get something.


A farm near my daughter's home.
     On Friday night we talked with the college students that have dinner with us about reading the Bible. We started off by reading together Matthew 4:4 which says, Man shall not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God. Tonight my husband was talking to a student who has been a believer about three months, and he asked what is this verse talking about? Right away she pointed out that bread is referring to physical food, but you also need food for your spirit.Then we read around the table verses from Psalm 119 that show what happens when we read the Bible. Here are a few of the ones that I liked:
  • The Bible enlivens us: Psalm 119:50 This is my comfort in my affliction, for Your word has enlivened me. When we're being sawn in two by our circumstances, we desperately need the word of God to enliven us!!
  • The Bible gives us light: Psalm 119:130 The opening of Your word gives light, ... This has been one of my favorite verses in this psalm because sometimes I'm confused, I don't get what's going on, and I need God's word to give me a ray of light.
  • The Bible keeps us from sinning: Psalm 119:11 In my heart I have treasured up Your word that I might not sin against You. This verse shows us the power God's word has over our hearts to keep us from doing anything that compromises our stand as a believer.
  • The Bible nourishes us & is sweet to our taste: Psalm 119:103 How sweet are Your words to my taste! Sweeter than honey to my mouth! This really goes along with Matthew 4:4--but it's not like God's word is like eating eggplant which is something I never liked as a child.  God's word is sweet to our hearts. 

Other  College Student Dinner Fellowships on This Blog:

Do You Have the Assurance of Your Salvation? 

Getting Spiritual Food From God's Word

What are the Securities of Your Salvation?

Hearing God - Dinner Fellowship with College Students

Why Should a Believer Get Baptized?

Why Should We Read the Bible?

Coming to the Lord in His Word

Did You Know God Made You With Three Parts?

What is the Key to Experiencing Christ? - A Fellowship with College Students

Calling on the Lord Makes a Difference! 

What's the Secret the Third Generation of Mankind Found?

Why Are Just 2 Trees Mentioned in Genesis 2?

Discussion with College Students--What is the Church?

Why are There Two Trees in Genesis 2 Anyway?  Part 1

Why are There Two Trees in Genesis 2 Anyway?  Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment