Gluten Free & God Seeking

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Fabulous Gluten Free Vegetarian Fajitas

Vegetarian fajitas are great not just because they are delicious but because they're a great way to eat a lot of vegetables! A few times a week I like to make meals without meat, and so I googled vegetarian fajitas to see what I could come up with.  

This recipe was the closest to what I was looking for, and it comes from All Recipes; I only made a few modifications--I didn't add the corn or black beans, and I tweaked the seasonings.  Last weekend we were visiting one of our daughters that lives about 500 miles away, and we made this recipe for Saturday night. These pictures are taken from our cooking! We had some really good salsa that we topped these with, and they were fabulous!

Gluten Free Vegetarian Fajitas - For 4-6

1.  Prepare vegetables:
(1)  Slice 2 small zucchini into julienne strips
(2)  Slice 2 yellow squash into julienne strips
(3)  Cut 1 green pepper into strips
(4)  Cut 1 red pepper into strips
(5)  Slice 1-2 sweet onion into thin slices
(6)  You can also add some mushrooms or any other vegetables  you like!

2.  Prepare marinade - In a medium size bowl together:
(1)  1/8 cup of olive oil
(2)  Add spices:  1 t oregano, 1 t chili powder, 1/2 t cumin 1 t garlic powder (or I minced 1 clove of garlic), 1 t salt, 1 t sugar, and 1/2 t black pepper.
(3)  Taste and adjust any seasonings, add a bit more olive oil? chili powder? cumin? salt?

3.  Add the prepared vegetables and let them marinate for 30 minutes to overnight.  

4.  Drain the vegetables.

5.  Warm up corn tortillas in foil in the oven or wrap them in a dish towel and put them in the microwave (time depends on the amount). 

5.  Stir-fry vegetables:
(1)   Put 3 T of coconut oil into a cast iron pan and when the oil's hot add the onions and stir fry for 3 minutes
(2)  Stir in the green/red peppers
(3)  Then add the zucchini/yellow squash and stir fry until it's crisp tender


6.  Assemble:  Spread a spoonful of sour cream on the warmed tortilla shell, and then spoon some of the vegetables on top of that, you can top with fresh tomatoes, salsa, more sour cream, and cheese! 

Other Mexican recipes on this blog:

Mexican Casseroles
Texas Style Gluten Free Stacked Enchiladas  (From my Texas airport cookbook)
Acapulco Delight - A great Mexican Enchilada (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
Kathy's Baked Chili & Chips Casserole  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Gluten Free Mexican Quinoa Casserole  (From an Internet search)
Fiesta Gluten Free Tamale Pie   (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Authentic Chicken Enchiladas Verde  (From a church friend)
Delores's Chicken & Tortilla Casserole (Made Gluten Free)  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)

Tacos, Chimichangas  & Etc.
Rachel Ray's Recipe for the Best Fish Tacos   (From Food Network)
Fantastic Baked Chimichangas  (From my Syre School Cookbook)
Authentic Chicken Flautas  (My hispanic friend Abbie taught me how to make these!)
Delicious Chicken Fajitas  (A mix of many recipes)
Fabulous Vegetarian Gluten Free Fajitas   (From an Internet search)
Easy Gluten Free Baked Taquitos  (From a newspaper clip)

Beans & Rice
The Best Homemade Refried Beans  (From an Internet search)
Texas Pinto Beans & Rice  (From my Texas airport cookbook)

Mexican Chicken & Beef
Anna's Pollo Guisado (Mexican Braised Chicken)  (From a church friend in Phoenix)
Fantastic Gluten Free Carne Asada!  (From an Internet search--a combination of sites)

Soups
Mexican Chicken Soup- A Great Remedy for Colds & Flu  (I got this over 25 years ago from a Mexican cookbook)
Bethany's Crowd Pleasing Tortilla Soup  (From a friend in Califiornia)
Southwest Turkey Soup   (From my Syre School Cookbook)

Salads
Baja Salad with Black Beans & Quinoa  (My own version of something I ate in Seattle)
Mexican Salmon & Mango Salad  (Modification of a Betty Crocker recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment