Gluten Free & God Seeking

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Baked Chili & Chips Casserole

   Here's a spin off the regular bowl of chili!   You can assemble this ahead of time for a quick dinner on a busy night!  Last Saturday was definitely one of those crazy busy days for us.  Both my husband and son in law had spent the entire day putting up dry wall in their new home.  And my daughter and I spent the day with her kids. 

This recipe comes from my daughter-in-law's family cookbook.  I adjusted some of the spices in the sauce, and in many cases  I doubled them.  I also added the can of tomato sauce so it wouldn't be so thick.  Like any Mexican recipe, you can adjust the heat to your liking.  it's definitely going to be a keeper!



 Baked Chili & Chips Casserole

1.  Prepare vegetables:
(1)  Chop 1 onion
(2)  Chop 1 green pepper
(3)  Mince 2 cloves of garlic
(4)  Chop 3 T of cilantro

2.  Prepare  sauce - In a large bowl put:
(1)  14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes, 1 14.5 oz can of tomato sauce, 1 small can of tomato paste, and 1 cup of hot taco sauce or I used salsa.
(2)  Stir in spices:  2 -3 T chili powder, 2 t cumin, 1/4 - 1/2 t cayenne depending on how zippy you like it, 2 t salt, 1 t black pepper, and chopped cilantro.

3.  Cook sauce:
(1)  In a large skillet fry 1 pound of ground beef.
(2)  When it's part way done, add chopped onion and green pepper.
(3)  Stir in the enchilada sauce you've just prepared.  Taste and adjust it for any additional seasonings.
(4)  Add one 14.5 oz can of kidney beans and 1 1/2 cups of thawed corn.  You can also add sliced olives if you like!
(5)  Simmer the sauce for 5 minutes.

4.  Get it ready to bake!
(1)  Put 4-5 cups of broken tortilla chips (The ones at the bottom of the bag work great for this recipe!)
(2)  Pour the enchilada sauce evenly over the chips.
(3)  Top with 2 cups of grated cheddar cheese.
(4)  Bake covered at 350f or 25-30 minutes.

5.  Adding toppings for the baked chili & Chips :   The recipe suggests taking the following toppings and layering them in order on top of the baked chili.  I just put the condiments that I had available in serving bowls and let everyone self serve.  Here's the list for those who want to do it in order:
(1)  Spread 2 cups of sour cream over the top
(2)  1 chopped avocado
(3)  1chopped Roma tomato
(4)  1 cup grated cheddar cheese
(5)  1 1/2 cups shredded lettuce
(6)  One red or orange chopped bell pepper
(7)  1/2 cup sliced black olives
(8)  1 cup of crushed chips

Other Mexican recipes on this blog:

Mexican Casseroles
Texas Style Gluten Free Stacked Enchiladas  (From my Come & Dine cookbook)
Acapulco Delight - A great Mexican Enchilada (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
Michelle's Favorite Vegetarian Enchiladas   (From my daughter)
Kathy's Baked Chili & Chips Casserole  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Gluten Free Mexican Quinoa Casserole  (From an Internet search)
Fiesta Gluten Free Tamale Pie   (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Authentic Chicken Enchiladas Verde  (From a church friend)
Rebecca's Favorite Chicken & Chile Enchiladas  (From a church friend)
Delores's Chicken & Tortilla Casserole (Made Gluten Free)  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)

Tacos, Chimichangas  & Etc.
Rachel Ray's Recipe for the Best Fish Tacos   (From Food Network)
Fantastic Baked Chimichangas  (From my Syre School Cookbook)
Authentic Chicken Flautas  (My hispanic friend Abbie taught me how to make these!)
Delicious Chicken Fajitas  (A mix of many recipes)
Fabulous Vegetarian Gluten Free Fajitas   (From an Internet search)
Easy Gluten Free Baked Taquitos  (From a newspaper clip)

Beans & Rice
The Best Homemade Refried Beans  (From an Internet search)
Texas Pinto Beans & Rice  (From my Texas airport cookbook)

Mexican Chicken & Beef
Anna's Pollo Guisado (Mexican Braised Chicken)  (From a church friend in Phoenix)
Fantastic Gluten Free Carne Asada!  (From an Internet search--a combination of sites)
Belizean Chicken, Black Beans & Rice, and Belizean Coleslaw  (From my daughter's family)

Soups
Mexican Chicken Soup- A Great Remedy for Colds & Flu  (I got this over 25 years ago from a Mexican cookbook)
Bethany's Crowd Pleasing Tortilla Soup  (From a friend in Califiornia)
Southwest Turkey Soup   (From my Syre School Cookbook)

Salads
Baja Salad with Black Beans & Quinoa  (My own version of something I ate in Seattle)
Mexican Salmon & Mango Salad  (Modification of a Betty Crocker recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment