Gluten Free & God Seeking

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Delores's Chicken & Tortilla Casserole (Made Gluten Free)

You can never have too many enchilada recipes!   I'm always up to trying another one because I love enchiladas!  Last Saturday I made this Mexican enchilada recipe from my Come & Dine Cookbook that  the moms from our church did up years ago as a fundraiser in order to  help send our kids to Bible camp. 

This recipe comes Delores who is like most moms a great cook. Her recipe was not a gluten free recipe, so I took out the can of mushroom soup and replaced it with sour cream and some extra seasonings.  So taste the sauce and get it to where you like it!  

Delores's Chicken & Tortilla Casserole

1.  Prepare vegetables & cheese:
(1)  Slice 1/3 cup of green onions.
(2)  Slice 1 can of black olives.
(3)  Grade 2 cups of jack/cheddar cheese


2.  Cook chicken or turkey in water to cover and then chop up 4-5 cups for casserole. Set aside.

3. Cut 8-10 corn tortillas into 1/2" strips. Set aside. 

4.  Prepare sauce: - Put in a large bowl: 
(1)   Put 10 oz of sour cream  and stir in 1 12 oz jar of green salsa, and 1 4 oz can of diced green chilies. 
(2)  Then stir in 3/4 t of cumin, 1/2 T of chili powder, and 1 t of salt. 
(3)   Last of all add the cubed chicken or turkey, olives, and green onions. 
(4)  Taste and make any adjustments. 


5.  Assemble in a 9 x 13 pan:
(1)  Grease the bottom of the pan and arrange tortilla strips along the bottom of it.
(2)  Cover evenly with half of the chicken mixture. 
(3)  Sprinkle cheese over the top.
(4)  Top with another layer of tortilla chips.
(5)  Spread the rest of the chicken mixture over the top.
(6)  Sprinkle cheese evenly over the top.

6.  Bake uncovered in a 350 oven for 45-50 minutes.

Other Mexican recipes on this blog:

Mexican Casseroles
Texas Style Gluten Free Stacked Enchiladas  (From my Come & Dine cookbook)
Acapulco Delight - A great Mexican Enchilada (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
Michelle's Favorite Vegetarian Enchiladas   (From my daughter)
Kathy's Baked Chili & Chips Casserole  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Gluten Free Mexican Quinoa Casserole  (From an Internet search)
Fiesta Gluten Free Tamale Pie   (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Authentic Chicken Enchiladas Verde  (From a church friend)
Rebecca's Favorite Chicken & Chile Enchiladas  (From a church friend)
Delores's Chicken & Tortilla Casserole (Made Gluten Free)  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)

Tacos, Chimichangas  & Etc.
Rachel Ray's Recipe for the Best Fish Tacos   (From Food Network)
Fantastic Baked Chimichangas  (From my Syre School Cookbook)
Authentic Chicken Flautas  (My hispanic friend Abbie taught me how to make these!)
Delicious Chicken Fajitas  (A mix of many recipes)
Fabulous Vegetarian Gluten Free Fajitas   (From an Internet search)
Easy Gluten Free Baked Taquitos  (From a newspaper clip)

Beans & Rice
The Best Homemade Refried Beans  (From an Internet search)
Texas Pinto Beans & Rice  (From my Texas airport cookbook)

Mexican Chicken & Beef
Anna's Pollo Guisado (Mexican Braised Chicken)  (From a church friend in Phoenix)
Fantastic Gluten Free Carne Asada!  (From an Internet search--a combination of sites)
Belizean Chicken, Black Beans & Rice, and Belizean Coleslaw  (From my daughter's family)

Soups
Mexican Chicken Soup- A Great Remedy for Colds & Flu  (I got this over 25 years ago from a Mexican cookbook)
Bethany's Crowd Pleasing Tortilla Soup  (From a friend in Califiornia)
Southwest Turkey Soup   (From my Syre School Cookbook)

Salads
Baja Salad with Black Beans & Quinoa  (My own version of something I ate in Seattle)
Mexican Salmon & Mango Salad  (Modification of a Betty Crocker recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment