Gluten Free & God Seeking

Monday, May 6, 2013

Fantastic Gluten Free Carne Asada!


   I'd never made my own carne asada before.  My daughter wanted us to make it for Cinco de Mayo this year. When I googled it for a gluten free recipe, this Wordpress site called Her and Me Gluten Free caught my eye. It was simpler than the one in my own cookbook and they said such great things about it, I thought I'd give it a try. 

 I compared it with another blog called Fire and Salt ,which is put out by a firefighter who likes to cook gluten free for his wife.  I took a few things from that recipe like the cumin and adding some garlic. I came up with a great combo from all the things I picked up from my cookbook and  these websites. I do this a lot when I cook gluten free.  Everyone raved about this carne asada, and so for sure I'll make it again.

  

Fantastic Gluten Free Carne Asada!

1.  Prepare marinade - In a small mixing bowl put the following:

(1)  1/2 cup of chopped cilantro
(2)  1/4 cup of  fresh lime juice
(3)  Mince 2 cloves of garlic
(3)  1/4 cup of red wine vinegar and 1/4 cup of olive oil
(4)  Spices:  1 T salt (I put in 2 t), 1 T black pepper,  1 t chili powder, 1/2 t cumin, and 1 t sugar.

2.  Prepare beef:  Rinse 1.5 pounds of skirt  or flank steak and cut into thin strips.   I bought a package of sirloin steak cut in thin strips from Trader Joe's for this purpose.  

3.  Marinade for 4 hours or overnight:  Cover meat with the marinade and leave in frig overnight.

4. Grill on BBQ for 2-3 minutes a side or to your liking.  Be careful not to cook it too long or it will get tough.  Cut it across the grain.  I cooked mine in a large cast iron skillet for about 4 minutes, and it was so tender!

5.  Serve with warmed up corn tortillas, salsa, guacamole, black beans,  and rice for a great fiesta night!

Other Mexican recipes on this blog:

Mexican Casseroles
Texas Style Gluten Free Stacked Enchiladas  (From my Come & Dine cookbook)
Acapulco Delight - A great Mexican Enchilada (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
Kathy's Baked Chili & Chips Casserole  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Fiesta Gluten Free Tamale Pie   (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Authentic Chicken Enchiladas Verde  (a church friend's mother-in-law's recipe)
Rebecca's Favorite Chicken & Chile Enchiladas  (From a church friend)
Delores's Chicken & Tortilla Casserole (Made Gluten Free)  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Great Beef Enchiladas - (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
El Dorada Beef & Cheese Casserole  (From my Heritage School cookbook)
Mexican Beef & Bean Pie (From my daughter-in-law's family reunion cookbook)

Tacos, Chimichangas  & Etc.
The Best Fish Tacos   (Modified from Food Network)
Fantastic Baked Chimichangas  (From my Syre School Cookbook)
Authentic Chicken Flautas  (My hispanic friend Abbie taught me how to make these!)
Delicious Chicken Fajitas  (A mix of many recipes)
Easy Gluten Free Baked Taquitos  (From a newspaper clip)
My Son's Egg & Sausage Burritos
 
Mexican Chicken & Beef Recipes

Anna's Pollo Guisado (Mexican Braised Chicken)  (From a church friend in Phoenix)
Fantastic Gluten Free Carne Asada!  (From an Internet search--a combination of sites)
Belizean Chicken, Black Beans & Rice, and Belizean Coleslaw  (From my daughter's family)
Make Your Own Chicken Burrito Bowls  - A combo of my favorite recipes for beans &chicken

Mexican Beans
The Best Homemade Refried Beans  (Modified from an Internet search)
Sara's Grandpa's Recipe for Mexican Beans (from my nephew's wife--a yummy side dish that is thick like a stew)

Soups
Mexican Chicken Soup- A Great Remedy for Colds & Flu  (I got this over 25 years ago from a Mexican cookbook)
Bethany's Crowd Pleasing Tortilla Soup  (From a friend in California)
Southwest Turkey Soup   (From my Syre School Cookbook)

Salads
Baja Salad with Black Beans & Quinoa  (My own version of something I ate in Seattle)

No comments:

Post a Comment