Gluten Free & God Seeking

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Heritage's Gluten Free Shepherd's Pie


Winter comfort food.  What are your favorites?  I like shepherd's pie because it is so versatile.  A few weeks ago I even made it vegetarian, and it was still good.  Well I guess anything smothered with cheese tastes good.

This recipe comes from my Heritage School cookbook from my first teaching job.  I made some adjustments to it like adding garlic, switching out the tomato paste for tomato sauce, and adding Worcestershire sauce.  Have fun with this basic recipe!

Gluten Free Shepherd's Pie 

1.  Prepare vegetables:
(1)   Chop up 1 small onion
(2)  Chop up 1/2 of a green pepper
(3)  Mince 2 cloves of garlic
(4)  Scrub 6-8 medium size potatoes

2.  Cook the potatoes until tender.  Drain the potato water into a cup.  Add 2 T of butter and mash, then add 3/4-1 cup of milk, 1 1/2 tsp.of salt,  and 1/2 tsp. of black pepper and mash until just right.

3. Prepare filling:
(1)  Brown 1 pound of hamburger meat
(2)  Add the onion and green pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes.
(3)  Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
(4)  Add 1 can of tomato sauce and 1 can of diced whole tomatoes
(5)  Stir in seasonings:  1 tsp. of salt, 1/2 tsp. of black pepper, 1/2 tsp. of oregano, 1/2 T of brown sugar, and 1 T of Worcestershire sauce.
(6)  Taste and adjust seasonings
(7)  Add 2 can of drained green beans.

4.  Bake:  Pour the meat mixture into the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan and mound with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with 1 - 1/2 cups of grated cheese.  Cover with foil and bake at 335 for 30 minutes.

List of beef recipes on this blog:

Gluten Free French Dip Sandwiches  (An Internet search)
Marilyn's No Peeking Beef Stew    (My mother-in-law's recipe)
My Mom's Amazing Gluten Free Spaghetti  (My mom's fantastic spaghetti)
Fantastic Gluten Free Carne Asada    (An Internet search)
Acapulco Delight - a Mexican Enchilada  (From my Heritage School Cookbook)


No comments:

Post a Comment