Gluten Free & God Seeking

Monday, April 30, 2012

From a Passed Down Italian Recipe - My Mom's Splendiferous Gluten Free Spaghetti

     Family recipes are fun to pass down, and this one comes from my mother.   When you taste it, you'll know why she calls it Kadie's splendiferous spaghetti!  The perfect blend of spices in this sauce is incredible. 


   Even my son-in-law the one whose father was born in Italy loves it.  This sauce simmers for 3-4 hours.  I did cook it for less one time, and it still came out great. My husband's mom adds olives to her sauce, and so that's my own addition to this  outstanding spaghetti recipe.

   This recipe also works great for a vegetarian spaghetti sauce which I have done several times. You can sauté some zucchini and summer squash and add it at the end along with any other vegetables you'd like to throw in. 

Often I start the sauce on the stove and then crock it for the rest of the day.


Kadie's Splendiferous Spaghetti


1.  Chop veggies:  
(1)  Chop up 1 onion 
(2)  Mince 3 cloves of garlic or throw them in the processor with the onion
(3)  Chop up ½ of a green pepper (sometimes I put the whole thing in)
(4)  Dice 2 stalks of celery. 
(5)  If you like mushrooms, slice up ½ to 1 cup of them. 
(6)  Optional: Our modification was to add 1 can of chopped olives.

2.  Put spices in a pinch bowl: 1 T of fresh oregano or 1 tsp.dried, 1 tsp. of dried rosemary, 2 tsp.  of salt, 1-2 t basil (or 1-2 T fresh basil chopped), 2 tsp. Italian seasoning, 2 T of fresh parsley, 2-3 T of brown sugar,  1/2 tsp. black pepper, and 1 bay leaf.


3.  Cook meat and vegetables: Put 2 T of olive oil in a stainless skillet and when it warms up, add the onion, garlic, celery, green pepper, and mushrooms and cook until soft. Add 1 pound of hamburger and cook until browned.

4.  Make this fantastic sauce:
(1)    Now add 2 cans of whole tomatoes and 2 cans of tomato sauce and  her recipe calls for ½ cup of red wine, sometimes I add it; sometimes I don't--and this spaghetti still comes out amazing. The red wine brings out the subtle flavors in the sauce.  

(2)  Note:  In my mom’s recipe she adds 2 large cans of plum tomatoes and 1 large can of tomato paste, but I didn’t have it, and it came out delicious using tomato sauce instead—maybe try one of each.

(3)  You can add 2 more T of olive oil now if you like. 
(4) Pour the spices from the pinch bowl in and let the sauce come to a slow boil, and then put it to simmer for 3-4 hours. If you like at this time, you can put the whole thing into a crock pot and forget about it until supper.  Taste and made any seasoning adjustments!

My mom’s notes: She likes to use fresh herbs whenever possible, but don't forget you'll use a bit more. 1 T fresh = 1 t dried.  You can add or decrease spices and sugar according to the flavor you like.  


Other Italian & Greek Pasta Recipes on This Blog:

Italian & Greek Chicken:
Incredible Gluten Free Chicken Souvlaki   (My son-in-law's marinade recipe)
Chicken Cacciatore with Peppers & Mushrooms  (My mother-in-law)
You've Got to Try This Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan!  (From my church cook book, Come & Dine)

Pasta Cassroles:
Oh So Good Vegetarian Lasagna  (From Internet search)
Delicious Gluten Free Chicken Tetrazzini     (From my daughter-in-law's family cookbook)

 Classic Pastas:
My Mom's Splendiferous Gluten Free Spaghetti  (My mother's amazing sauce!)
Ginger's Family Favorite Gluten Free Beef Stroganof   (From my friend Ginger)
Gluten Free Pasta Aioli - Sausage & Vegetable Penne  (From my daughter and son-in-law)
Incredible Gluten Free Pasta Primavera     (Combination of two Internet searches)
Fantastic Gluten Free Salmon Fettucine 
Easy to Make Gluten Free Shrimp Linguini   (From my Syre School Cookbook)

Mac & Cheeses
Fantastic Gluten Free Macaroni & Cheese  (Modified from Heritage & Internet search)
Gluten Free Comfort Food - Downright Delicious Gluten Free Tuna Noodle Casserole  (From my Heritage School Cookbook)

Pizza
Judi's Gluten Free Crazy Crust Pizza -  Spinach, Artichoke & Feta Pizza (From a friend)

Soups:
This is the Best Minestrone Soup!  (From my son's Internet search and tweaking)
Mouth Watering Italian Turkey Sausage Soup   (This is  my friend Debbie's recipe)

Salads:
Tasty Gluten Free Pasta Salad   (I've been making this salad for over 20 years!)
Jeremy D's Sensational Greek Salad  (From my son-in-law who is half Italian)
Michelle's Greek Quinoa Salad   (My daughter came up with this way to use quinoa)

No comments:

Post a Comment