Gluten Free & God Seeking

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Kathy's Texas Chili & Chips


There are probably hundreds of different types of chili.  Over the years I have tried out my share, but it's always good to have a basic chili recipe that you can tweak and add a little bit of this and that too.  This is definitely that kind of chili.  It's nice and thick and is great like the title says for dipping chips into.

This recipe comes from my Come & Dine cookbook that me and a group of other moms made as a fundraiser for our kids to attend a summer Bible camp.


Kathy's Texas Chili & Chips


1. Prepare vegetables:
(1)  Chop 1/2 of an onion (I do the whole thing!)
(2)  Chop 1 cup of celery
(3)  Chop 1 green pepper
(4)  1-2 cloves of minced garlic
(5)  Slice 1 can of olives


2.  Brown beef & cook vegetables:
(1)   In a large skillet brown 1 pound of ground beef/turkey.
(2)  Add onion, green pepper, garlic, and celery and cook until tender--about 5 minutes.
(3)  Drain the fat.

3.  Put meat and vegetables into a soup pot:
(1)  Then add 2 15 oz cans of diced tomatoes and 1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
(2)  Then add 2 15 oz cans of kidney beans,  15 oz can of white kidney beans, and olives.
(3)  Next add the seasonings:   3 T chili powder, 1/2  t salt, 1/2 t cumin, and 1/2 t black pepper.
(4)  Taste and make any adjustments in flavor. 

4.  Serve up with chips and/or cornbread.

List of My Favorite Soups, Chili & Stew Recipes

Beef 
Grandma's Favorite Beef Stew  (My mother-in-law's delicious recipe!)
Just Like Home Ukrainian Borscht  ( a Polish student  said this tasted like his mom's!)

Poultry
This is the Best Gluten Free Minestrone Soup!   (A recipe my son modified)
Mouth Watering Italian Turkey Sausage Soup   (This is  my friend Debbie's recipe)
Mexican Fiesta Chicken Soup   (A recipe I got years ago from a Mexican cookbook)
My Thanksgiving Turkey Soup  (My very own special concoction!)
Gary's Incredible Gluten Free Arkansas Gumbo  (Given to me by a Bible study friend)
Jeannie's French Market Soup  (A mom friend from when my kids were little)
Southwest Turkey Soup  (From my Syre School cookbook)

Fish
Northwest Salmon Chowder  (From my Heritage School cookbook)

Bean & Legumes
Vi's Best Chili  (A  Bible study friend's great recipe)
Bethany's Crowd Pleasing Tortilla Soup  (One of my daughter's friends special soup)
Country-Style Lentil Soup   (From my heritage School cookbook)

Vegetable
Creamy Pumpkin Soup  (from Food Network)
My Favorite Gluten Free Pumpkin Curry Soup  (Combo from Food & All Recipes)
Downright Delicious Potato & Kale Soup  (From my daughter-in-law's family cookbook)

Asian
Chinese Chicken Soups  - Bok choy chicken, chicken & spinach, and chicken & cabbage
Make Your Own Gluten Free Chicken Pho!  (From a newspaper article)
Gluten Free Chinese Hot Pot  (Modified by a Chinese student)
Chinese Egg Drop Soup  &  Chinese Egg & Tomato Soup  (Adapted from our students)

No comments:

Post a Comment