Gluten Free & God Seeking

Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Make Your Own Chicken Burrito Bowls

I like to figure out how to make something myself.  Once on a road trip, I ordered a burrito bowl and couldn't believe how yummy it was.  I thought I can make this even more healthy if I do it myself! 

Since then I've made this about three times.  It's really a great crowd pleaser dinner because I feel Mexican food is both delicious and colorful, and everyone has fun making it how they like.






Chicken Burrito Bowls - for 8

1.  Prepare pintos/black beans:  
(1)  If you  need a quick batch of beans, put 1 1/2 to 2 cups depending on your family size beans in a pot with water to cover.  Bring to a boil, let boil a few minutes and then turn off and let them sit for an hour.  
(2)  Pour off the water and then add fresh water to cover. 
(3)   I like to add 2 tablespoons of chili powder, 1 teaspoon of cumin, 3 teaspoons of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper and then let the beans simmer for 1/2 to 2 hours or until tender.  You can also add 1 chopped onion.
(4)  Taste and make any adjustments.
Note:   Make sure the beans have about 3 cups remaining liquid because you'll want to spoon some of this out with the beans into your bowls.

2,  Prepare brown rice:  Follow your package directions.  And time it so the rice is done close to dinner.  I used 2 1/2 cups of brown rice which came out pretty good.

3.  Prepare toppings - Put in a condiment server or in separate bowls: 
(1)  Chop up 1 red bell pepper or enough for your family.
(2)  Dice up 1 or 2 tomatoes.
(3)  Chop up an avocado into bite-size pieces.
(4)  Slice 4-5 green onions.
(5)  Chop up fresh cilantro.
(6)  Grate up 3+ cups of cheddar cheese.
(7)  Slice a can of black olives
(8)  Chopped lettuce

4.  Prepare chicken:
(1)  Cut up 2 chicken breasts into small bite size pieces. 
(2)  Spices:  2 1/2 T of chili powder, 1 1/4 teaspoon of cumin, 2 teaspoons of salt, 1 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon of oregano, and 1 teaspoon brown sugar.
(3)  Put about 3 tablespoons of coconut oil into a cast iron pan and add the chicken, cook a minute and then sprinkle the seasonings over the chicken and pan grill the chicken on medium-high heat.  
(4)  Put in a serving bowl.

5.  Assemble chicken burrito bowls - Have each person add their condiments to their rice and beans: 
(1)  Put a few spoonfuls of brown rice on the bottom of a deep bowl.
(2)  Scoop some beans with some of the liquid over the rice.
(3)  Let everyone add their own condiments:  Sprinkle red peppers, tomatoes, avocados, green onions, cilantro, olives, lettuce, and a spoonful of chicken over the top.  Sprinkle with cheese and put tortilla chips on the side.
(4)  Add a spoonful of salsa and sour cream.

Other Mexican recipes on this blog:

Mexican Casseroles
Texas Style Gluten Free Stacked Enchiladas  (From my Come & Dine cookbook)
Acapulco Delight - A great Mexican Enchilada (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
Michelle's Favorite Vegetarian Enchiladas   (From my daughter)
Kathy's Baked Chili & Chips Casserole  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Fiesta Gluten Free Tamale Pie   (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Authentic Chicken Enchiladas Verde  (From a church friend)
Rebecca's Favorite Chicken & Chile Enchiladas  (From a church friend)
Delores's Chicken & Tortilla Casserole (Made Gluten Free)  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Great Beef Enchiladas - From my church cookbook, Come & Dine

Tacos, Chimichangas  & Etc.
Rachel Ray's Recipe for the Best Fish Tacos   (Modified from Food Network)
Fantastic Baked Chimichangas  (From my Syre School Cookbook)
Authentic Chicken Flautas  (My hispanic friend Abbie taught me how to make these!)
Delicious Chicken Fajitas  (A mix of many recipes)
Easy Gluten Free Baked Taquitos  (From a newspaper clip)

Beans & Rice
The Best Homemade Refried Beans  (From an Internet search)
Texas Pinto Beans & Rice  (From my Texas airport cookbook)
Baked Chili & Chips (My daughter-in-law's family reunion cookbook)
Sara's Grandpa's Recipe for Mexican Beans (from my nephew's wife-a yummy side dish that is thick like a stew)

Mexican Chicken & Beef
Anna's Pollo Guisado (Mexican Braised Chicken)  (From a church friend in Phoenix)
Fantastic Gluten Free Carne Asada!  (From an Internet search--a combination of sites)
Belizean Chicken, Black Beans & Rice, and Belizean Coleslaw  (From my daughter's family)

Soups
Mexican Chicken Soup- A Great Remedy for Colds & Flu  (I got this over 25 years ago from a Mexican cookbook)
Bethany's Crowd Pleasing Tortilla Soup  (From a friend in California)
Southwest Turkey Soup   (From my Syre School Cookbook)

Salads
Baja Salad with Black Beans & Quinoa  (My own version of something I ate in Seattle)

No comments:

Post a Comment