Gluten Free & God Seeking

Thursday, March 30, 2017

Mexican Beef & Bean Pie

I love any Mexican food, especially the ones that have beans. This recipe is from one of my daughter-in-law's family reunion cookbooks.  I made this for the first time about a month ago.  It was totally delicious, and a great way to use up extra pinto beans.


1.  Prepare pinto beans:  Prepare 2 cups of pinto beans.  This will make more than you need, but the extras are great for burritos. Follow package directions.  You will need 1 1/2 cups for the Mexican pie.

2.  Prepare crust:  Combine in a medium-sized bowl:
(1)  3/4 cup of corn flour (I used rice flour and it worked okay)
(2)  1/2 cup of cornmeal
(3)  Stir in 1 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder, 1/2 t of salt, 1 tablespoon of sugar.
(4)  Mix 1 egg, 1/2 cup of milk, and 1/8 cup of olive oil in a measuring cup and combine until blended.
(5)  Spread onto a greased 9" pie pan and bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes.

3Prepare vegetables:
(1)  Mince 1 onion
(2)  Chop 1 green pepper

4. Prepare meat mixture:
(1)   Fry 1 pound of ground beef/turkey. 
(2)  Add the onion and green pepper when half cooked.
(3)  Stir in 1 cup of salsa, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon of cumin, 1 1/2 tablespoons of chili powder, and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper.
(4)  Then stir in 1 1/2 cups of the pinto beans you cooked.
(5)  Put the meat mixture on top of the crust.

5.  Top with 1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese.

6.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until done.

Serve with a platter of chopped lettuce, tomatoes, and green onions.  Also fill bowls with salsa and sour cream for topping.


Other Mexican recipes on this blog:

Mexican Casseroles
Texas Style Gluten Free Stacked Enchiladas  (From my Come & Dine cookbook)
Acapulco Delight - A great Mexican Enchilada (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
Michelle's Favorite Vegetarian Enchiladas   (From my daughter)
Kathy's Baked Chili & Chips Casserole  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Fiesta Gluten Free Tamale Pie   (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Authentic Chicken Enchiladas Verde  (From a church friend)
Rebecca's Favorite Chicken & Chile Enchiladas  (From a church friend)
Delores's Chicken & Tortilla Casserole (Made Gluten Free)  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Great Beef Enchiladas - From my church cookbook, Come & Dine

Tacos, Chimichangas  & Etc.
The Best Fish Tacos   (Modified from Food Network)
Fantastic Baked Chimichangas  (From my Syre School Cookbook)
Authentic Chicken Flautas  (My hispanic friend Abbie taught me how to make these!)
Delicious Chicken Fajitas  (A mix of many recipes)
Easy Gluten Free Baked Taquitos  (From a newspaper clip)
The Best Homemade Refried Beans  (From an Internet search)
Sara's Grandpa's Recipe for Mexican Beans (from my nephew's wife-a yummy side dish that is thick like a stew)

Mexican Chicken & Beef
Anna's Pollo Guisado (Mexican Braised Chicken)  (From a church friend in Phoenix)
Fantastic Gluten Free Carne Asada!  (From an Internet search--a combination of sites)
Belizean Chicken, Black Beans & Rice, and Belizean Coleslaw  (From my daughter's family)

Soups
Mexican Chicken Soup- A Great Remedy for Colds & Flu  (I got this over 25 years ago from a Mexican cookbook)
Bethany's Crowd Pleasing Tortilla Soup  (From a friend in California)
Southwest Turkey Soup   (From my Syre School Cookbook)

Salads
Baja Salad with Black Beans & Quinoa  (My own version of something I ate in Seattle)




No comments:

Post a Comment