Gluten Free & God Seeking

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Mexican Grilled Salmon & Mango Salad

Here's another tasty way to get your omegas!  This is a great salad for a warm spring or summer day. The basic structure comes from a grilling paperback booklet put out by Better Homes & Gardens.  I wanted to add more protein to this salad, so I added garbanzo beans, but I really wanted to add black beans but didn't have any. And I also threw in some quinoa to add to the protein content.  

The original recipe calls for different fruits and avocado, but I adjusted it by adding more vegetables. The combination of these fruits and vegetables was very refreshing and, of course, delicious.


Mexican Grilled Salmon & Mango Salad - Serves 4

1. Prepare fish:  Rinse 1/2 pound of salmon.  Brush salmon 1 tablespoon of olive oil.  Because I was going to cook this in my cast iron skillet I cut it into chunks.

2. Then make a marinade:  Squeeze out 1 T of lime/lemon juice and mix with 1 1-1/2 t of cajun seasoning or Jamaican jerk seasoning.  Let sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.

3.  Cook 1 cup of quinoa in 2 cups of water.  Put aside.

4. Prepare vegetables, fruit & other ingredients:  I put these in individual bowls.
(1)  Wash enough lettuce for 4 people and put them in serving bowls.
(2)  Dice up 1 avocado.
(3)  Halve 1 cup of strawberries
(4)  Chop up 1 mango
(5)  Slice up 1/2 of a red pepper.
(6)  Slice 1/2 of a purple onion.
(7)  Drain a can of beans.

5.  Grill fish or pan fry: You can either grill the fish 4-6 minutes a side if it's 1/2" thick and then cut  it or you can cook it on med-high heat in a cast iron skillet.  Cook until it flakes easily.   Put aside and let cool slightly before putting on top of salads.



Lena's Mexican Salad Dressing

This delicious salad dressing comes from my daughter-in-law's mother Lena.  She made this dressing for taco salad, and it was a must have kind of recipe.  Don't get overwhelmed by its yellow color because it's a dynamite dressing.  

In a blender put:

(1)  2/3 cup of olive oil
(2)  2 T mayo and 3 T yellow prepared mustard
(3)  1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar
(4)  1 medium onion cut in a chunks
(5)  1 t salt, 1/2 t pepper, 1 t celery seeds
(6)  3/4 cup of sugar - This time I tried 1/2 cup of sugar and it worked!
Blend until smooth.


List of Other Salads on this Blog:

Greens/cabbage:
Gluten Free Chinese Chicken Cabbage Salad   (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
Baja Salad with Black Beans & Quinoa  (A remake from something I ate at a restaurant)
Make it Yourself Thai Peanut Dressing for Mandarin Salad  (My friend Judi's recipe)
KFC Copycat Cole Slaw   (A friend shared this with me)
Mexican Grilled Salmon & Mango Salad   (From a Betty Crocker summer cookbook)
Belizean Coleslaw    (From Internet search)

Pasta:
Tasty Gluten Free Pasta Salad  (Something I picked up over 20 years ago!)
Vietnamese Vermicelli Salad Bowls   (From an Internet search)

Vegetable:
Jeremy D's Sensational Greek Salad   (My son-in-law's recipe)
Grandma's Perfect Potato Salad   (Family recipe)
Rose's Refreshing Cucumber Salad   (From a Chinese friend)

Fruit:
Grandma Marilyn's Frozen Fruit Salad  (My mother-in-law's recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment