Gluten Free & God Seeking

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Grandma's Old Fashioned Meat Loaf (Easily Made Gluten Free!)

Nothing tastes better than Grandma's home cooking!  When my kids were young, their grandparents lived just a few blocks away from us.  They loved it whenever we got invited for dinner.  Over the years she has shared with me many of her favorite recipes, and this one I submitted to our church cookbook Come & Dine.  

The only thing I do differently now that I've been diagnosed with celiac disease is  I make some gluten free mushroom soup. Also instead of adding bread, I add gluten free oats.  And you know what--you couldn't tell at all! 

 Enjoy this wonderful winter meal with baked potatoes, butternut squash, peas, and a salad.  



Grandma's Old Fashioned Meat Loaf

1.  Prepare vegetables:
(1)  Chop 1/2 cup of onion.
(2)  Chop 2 T of parsley
(3)  Mince 1 clove of garlic
(4)  Optional:  Mince 1/4 cup of mushrooms 

2.  Prepare gluten free mushroom soup:
(1)  In a skillet put 2 T of butter and let it melt.
(2)  Whisk in 3 T of white rice flour.
(3)  Then gradually add 10 oz of milk/water and whisk until smooth and the "soup" starts to thicken.
(4)  Add 1 T Worcestershire sauce, 1 t salt, 1/2 t of black pepper,  2 t parsley, mushrooms if using, and 1 t of Chicken Better Than Bouillon.
(5)  Taste and make any adjustments.

3.  Prepare meat loaf - In a large mixing bowl put:
(1)  1.5- 2 pounds of organic ground beef
(2)  Add 1 cup of regular oatmeal and 2 eggs
(3)  Then stir in the mushroom soup, onion,  garlic, and 1/2 cup of grated cheese.
(4)  Mix until all the ingredients are well combined.

4.  Baking meat loaf:  
(1)  Put into a bread pan and bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes. 
(2)   Mix 3 T of ketchup with 1 1/2 T of brown sugar and spread it over the top of the meat loaf and bake an additional 15 minutes.   
(3)  Check meatloaf and  if needed, bake for an additional 5 or 10 minutes.  

List of beef recipes on this blog:

Asian:
Gluten Free Bulgogi Rice Bowls  (With a Korean friend and a modified recipe)
Outstanding Gluten Free Sukiyaki    
Joann's Oriental Gluten Free Meatballs   (A friend from Taiwan taught me!)

Italian Favorites:
My Mom's Amazing Gluten Free Spaghetti  (My mom's fantastic spaghetti)
The Best Gluten Free Lasagna   (From my church Come & Dine Cookbook)
Jan's Classic Baked Spaghetti Casserole   (From my  church Come & Dine Cookbook)

Mexican:
Fantastic Gluten Free Carne Asada    (Modified from an Internet search)
Acapulco Delight - a Mexican Enchilada  (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
Easy Gluten Free Taquitos
Fiesta Gluten Free Tamale Pie (From my church Come & Dine Cookbook)
Great Beef Enchiladas   (From my church Come & Dine Cookbook)
El Dorado Beef Casserole  (From my Heritage School Cookbook)

Casseroles & American Favorites:
The Best Gluten Free Shepherd's Pie  (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
Ginger's Family Favorite Beef Stroganoff   (A recipe from a friend)

Soups & Stews:
Marilyn's No Peeking Beef Stew    (My mother-in-law's recipe)
Cooking Beef Pho for Vietnamese Students
Debbie's Mouth Watering Italian Sausage Soup  (From my friend Debbie)
Marilyn's Make It From Scratch Chili   (My mother-in-law's recipe)

Sandwiches:
Gluten Free French Dip Sandwiches  (Modified from an Internet search) 

No comments:

Post a Comment