Gluten Free & God Seeking

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Jan's Classic Baked Spaghetti Casserole


This is a do-it-ahead version of one of America's favorite crowd pleasers. And it comes from a home ec teacher, and so you know it's going to be good!  I had to do some tweaking of this recipe to make the gluten free mushroom soup that goes over the top.  The fresh mushrooms I added to this recipe really made it for it!

Also instead of just using 28 oz of diced tomatoes, I  added 1 14.5 can of tomato sauce. Our international students loved it!  Of course, they love anything with noodles.  I really like the way all these layers come  together to make a fantastic casserole for a fall night!
   
Jan’s Classic Baked Spaghetti – for 8

1.  Prepare vegetables:
(1)  Chop 1 cup of onion and 1 cup of green pepper.
(2)  Slice 3/4 cup of button mushrooms and ½ cup of olives.

2.  Meanwhile cook the noodles:  12 oz.

3.  Make sauce – In a large skillet:
(1)  Brown 1 pound of ground turkey.  Put in a bowl.
(2) Sauté onions and green pepper in 1 T of butter.
(2)  Then add 28 oz. of diced tomato, 1/2 cup mushrooms olives, 2 t oregano, and add back the browned ground turkey.

4.  Assemble casserole:
(1)  Put half of the spaghetti on the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 pan. 
(2)  Top with ½ of meat mixture.
(3)   Sprinkle 1 cup of mozzarella cheese on top.
(4)  Repeat layers.
(5)  Pour Gluten free mushroom soup over the top:  Put 2 T of butter into a skillet and whisk in 2 T of tapioca starch/rice flour, then slowly whisk in 6 oz of milk, 6 oz of water, and 2 t of Chicken Better Than Bouillon, 1/4 cup of chopped mushrooms and 1/2 t of black pepper.  Taste and make any adjustments. (Recipe calls for 1 can of cream of mushroom soup mixed with ¼ of water over the top.)
(6)  Sprinkle ¼ cup of grated Parmesan cheese over the top.

5.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.


Other Italian & Greek Pasta Recipes on This Blog:

Italian & Greek Chicken:
Incredible Gluten Free Chicken Souvlaki   (My son-in-law's marinade recipe)
Chicken Cacciatore with Peppers & Mushrooms  (My mother-in-law)
You've Got to Try This Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan!  (From my church cook book, Come & Dine)

Pasta Cassroles:

The Best Gluten Free Lasagna   (From my church Come & Dine cookbook)
Delicious Gluten Free Chicken Tetrazzini     (From my daughter-in-law's family cookbook)

 Classic Pastas:
My Mom's Splendiferous Gluten Free Spaghetti  (My mother's amazing sauce!)
Ginger's Family Favorite Gluten Free Beef Stroganof   (From my friend Ginger)
Gluten Free Pasta Aioli - Sausage & Vegetable Penne  (From my daughter and son-in-law)
Incredible Gluten Free Pasta Primavera     (Combination of two Internet searches)
Fantastic Gluten Free Salmon Fettucine 
Easy to Make Gluten Free Shrimp Linguini   (From my Syre School Cookbook)

Mac & Cheeses
Fantastic Gluten Free Macaroni & Cheese  (Modified from Heritage & Internet search)
Gluten Free Comfort Food - Downright Delicious Gluten Free Tuna Noodle Casserole  (From my Heritage School Cookbook)

Pizza
Judi's Gluten Free Crazy Crust Pizza -  Spinach, Artichoke & Feta Pizza (From a friend)

Soups:
This is the Best Minestrone Soup!  (From my son's Internet search and tweaking)
Mouth Watering Italian Turkey Sausage Soup   (This is  my friend Debbie's recipe)

Salads:
Tasty Gluten Free Pasta Salad   (I've been making this salad for over 20 years!)
Jeremy D's Sensational Greek Salad  (From my son-in-law who is half Italian)
Michelle's Greek Quinoa Salad   (My daughter came up with this way to use quinoa)

No comments:

Post a Comment