Gluten Free & God Seeking

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Spicy Cuban Black Bean Soup

I like beans.  Just about any kind, but especially northern, kidney, pintos, and black beans.  I usually make a pot of pinto or black beans every Saturday to serve with some Mexican food.  When I saw this recipe for black bean soup at a market in the Seattle area last Saturday, I picked it up because I like to try out new bean soup recipes.  

 I normally make soup on Tuesdays because that's the night I have a meeting with some other believers. All I have to do when I arrive home is make up some gluten free muffins, cornbread, or quesadillas and put together a salad. 

Just so you know when I made this I deleted a few spices and tweaked others and added chili powder instead, plus I threw in  in some corn for color!  

Even our students from Vietnam and China liked it!!  

Spicy Cuban Black Bean Soup

1.  Prepare black beans - In a medium sized bowl put:
(1)  2 cups of black beans with water to cover. 
(2)  Sit on the counter overnight.
(3)  Drain in the morning.

2.  Prepare vegetables:
(1)  Chop 1 yellow onion
(2)  Mince up 2 tablespoons of garlic.
(3)  Chop 2 T of cilantro.

3.  Prepare soup - In a soup pot put:
(1)  1 T of olive oil  and the onions and sauté until soft, add the garlic and cook 30 seconds longer.
(2)   Add spices:  2 t of chili powder, 1 t of paprika, 1 t of cumin, 1 t oregano, and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
(3)  Then add 6 cups of water with 6  t of Chicken Better than Bouillon or 6 cups of chicken stock,  2 t  of salt, 1 t of honey (or sugar), and 1 T of red wine vinegar.
(4)  Also add drained beans, one 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes,  1 1/2 - 2 cups of frozen corn, and the chopped cilantro.
(5)  Simmer on the stove for 30 minutes to an hour.  I put mine in the crock pot on high for about 8 hours.

List of My Favorite Soups, Chili & Stew Recipes

Beef 
Grandma's Favorite Beef Stew  (My mother-in-law's delicious recipe!)
Just Like Home Ukrainian Borscht   (A Polish student  said this tasted like his mom's!)

Poultry
This is the Best Gluten Free Minestrone Soup!   (A recipe my son modified)
Mouth Watering Italian  Sausage Soup   (This is  my friend Debbie's recipe)
Mexican Fiesta Chicken Soup   (A recipe I got years ago from a Mexican cookbook)
My Thanksgiving Turkey Soup  (My very own special concoction!)
Gary's Incredible Gluten Free Arkansas Gumbo  (Given to me by a Bible study friend from Arkansas)
Jeannie's French Market Soup  (A friend from when my kids were little)
Southwest Turkey Soup  (From my Syre School cookbook)

Fish
Northwest Salmon Chowder  (From my Heritage School cookbook)
Almost Like Ivar's Clam Chowder (From my Come & Dine Cookbook)

Bean & Legumes
Vi's Best Chili  (A  Bible study friend's great recipe)
Bethany's Crowd Pleasing Tortilla Soup  (One of my daughter's friends special soup)
Country-Style Lentil Soup   (From my Heritage School cookbook)
Kathy's Texas Chili & Chips (From my Come & Dine cookbook)

Vegetable
Creamy Pumpkin Soup  (from Food Network)
My Favorite Gluten Free Pumpkin Curry Soup  (Combo from Food & All Recipes)
Downright Delicious Potato & Kale Soup  (From my daughter-in-law's family cookbook)
A Great Fall Soup - Make it From Scratch Corn Potato Chowder  (From my Heritage School Cookbook)

Asian
Chinese Chicken Soups  - Bok choy chicken, chicken & spinach, and chicken & cabbage (Modified from Internet search by our Chinese students)
Make Your Own Gluten Free Chicken Pho!  (Modified from a newspaper article)
Gluten Free Chinese Hot Pot  (Modified by a Chinese student)
Chinese Egg Drop Soup  &  Chinese Egg & Tomato Soup  (Modified  from a student's recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment