Gluten Free & God Seeking

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Gluten Free Comfort Food That Hits the Spot - Chicken Divan

   Chicken divan is probably an American comfort classic.  This rich sauce with just a hint of curry and lemon is just delicious.  And then add to that fresh broccoli spears (or frozen) and juicy pieces of chicken breast and you've got it. 

 I made this for our international students last weekend who I knew loved chicken, broccoli, and curry. I figured it was like an American spin on these Asian favorites, and guess what?  They loved it!  You should have seen their plates heaped with rice with the chicken divan cascading over the top.  

This recipe comes from my Syre School Cookbook.  I just substituted the two cans of cream of chicken soup with this recipe below for white sauce that uses Better Than Bouillon.  


Chicken Divan

1.  Prepare chicken:  Cook and cube 2-3 large chicken breasts.

2.  Prepare gluten free chicken soup: 
(1)  Melt 2 T of butter in a large skillet and whisk in 4 T of rice flour.
(2)  Slowly add the milk mixture and whisk to keep it smooth.
(3)  Add seasonings:  2 t Chicken Better Than Bouillon, 2 t Indian curry, 1 t salt, 1/2 t black pepper.
(4)  Thin with more milk if it's too thick.  
(5)  Then mix in 1 cup of mayonnaise and 1 T fresh lemon juice. 

3.  Lightly steam 1 large bag of broccoli spears according to package.

4.  Arrange casserole in a 9 x 13 pan:
(1)   Arrange 1 large package of broccoli spears on the bottom of the pan. 
(2)  Scatter the cubed chicken over the top.
(3)  Scoop gluten free chicken soup mixture over the top. 
(4)  Grate cheddar cheese over the top.

5.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. 

List of other casseroles on this blog:

Mexican Casseroles:
Texas Style Gluten Free Stacked Enchiladas  (From my Come & Dine cookbook)
Acapulco Delight - A great Mexican Enchilada   From my Heritage School Cookbook
Michelle's Favorite Vegetarian Enchiladas   (From my daughter)
Kathy's Baked Chili & Chips Casserole  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Gluten Free Mexican Quinoa Casserole  (From an Internet search)
Fiesta Gluten Free Tamale Pie   (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Rebecca's Favorite Chicken & Chile Enchiladas  (From a church friend)
Delores's Chicken & Tortilla Casserole (Made Gluten Free)  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)

Pasta Casseroles:

The Best Gluten Free Lasagna   (From my church Come & Dine cookbook)
Fantastic Gluten Free Macaroni & Cheese  (Modified from Heritage & Internet search)
Gluten Free Comfort Food - Downright Delicious Gluten Free Tuna Noodle Casserole  (From my Heritage School Cookbook)

American Favorites:
Scalloped Potatoes - (From my mother-in-law)

Breakfast for Dinner:
Hash Brown Egg Casserole  (From my friend Lisa)
Mexican Migas Breakfast Casserole  (Modified from a recipe from an airport cookbook)
Baked Zucchini Frittata  (I picked this up from a Whidbey Island farmer's market)
Jan's Sausage & Vegetable Frittata  (From a friend who was a home ec teacher)

No comments:

Post a Comment