Gluten Free & God Seeking

Friday, March 29, 2013

Grandma's Famous Chicken Cacciatore With Peppers & Mushrooms


     For the past few months I've been trying to make a gluten free pasta dish every week. This week I tried one that I haven't made for years--chicken cacciatore.  The first time I had this dish was at my mother-in-law's many years ago, and it was delicious. 



      This sauce is very flavorful and one that you can adjust to your  own liking by tweaking the spices. 








Chicken Cacciatore 
With Peppers & Mushrooms



1.  Prepare vegetables:
(1)  Dice up 1 medium onion.
(2)  Chop up 1 green pepper.
(3)  Chop up 3-4 stalks of celery.
(4)  Slice up 1 cup of mushrooms.
(5)  Mince 3 cloves of garlic.
(6)  Mince up 2 T of fresh parsley for garnishing.

2.  Prepare sauce - In a bowl mix together:
(1)  1 cup of ketchup 
(2)  1 14.5 oz can of whole tomatoes
(3)  1 15 oz can tomato sauce   
(4)  Stir in the seasonings:  1/2 cup brown sugar, 1  T Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp. dry mustard,   3/4 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. black pepper

3.  Prepare chicken:
(1)  Skin and rinse  2 1/2-3 pounds of breasts, legs, thighs, and wings.
(2)  Dredge in a mixture of 1/4 cup rice flour, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. black pepper.
(3)  Fry in 3 - 4 T of coconut oil in a large skillet for about 5 minutes a side.
(4)  Put on a plate and cover until needed.

4.  Saute vegetables & add back chicken:  (Note  you can cook this all in the pan or put it in the oven (see note below):

(1)  Then put the onions into this pan and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
(2)  Add the green pepper, celery, and mushrooms and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
(3)  Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
(4)  Add the cacciatore sauce to the pan and stir all the ingredients together.  Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
(5)  Add the chicken back in and cook into the sauce  and put all of it into a baking dish and bake it at 250 to  300 for 2 1/2 hours. 
(6)  Taste the sauce and adjust any seasonings.

5. Prepare noodles or rice:  Meanwhile cook up a pot of brown rice spaghetti according to the package directions, or we've also had this served over rice.  

Serve with noodles and garnish with parsley and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

List of other chicken recipes on this blog:

Asian:
Authentic Chinese BBQ Chicken  (From my friend Rose)
Gluten Free Soy Sauce Chicken   (Modified from Internet search)
Tasty Gluten Free Filipino Chicken Adobo  (Modified from Internet search)
Gluten Free Sweet & Sour Chicken (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)

Italian & Greek:
Chicken Souvlaki   (Marinade for chicken from my son-in-law)
Gluten Free Chicken Cacciatore With Peppers & Mushrooms  (Modified from my mother-in-law)
Delicious Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan   (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)

Mexican:
Pollo Guisado (Mexican Braised Chicken)  (From a church friend in Phoenix)
Belizean Chicken, Black Beans & Rice, and Belizean Coleslaw  (From my daughter's family)

American Favorites:
Amazing BBQ Chicken    (From my daughter-in-law's family reunion cookbook)
The Best Gluten Free Oven Fried Chicken   (From my sister-in-law)
Fantastic Gluten Free Chicken Kabobs  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Great for Summer BBQ - Lemon Rosemary Chicken Legs  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Country Apple Curried Chicken  (From my church cookbook Come & Dine)
The Best Homemade Chicken BBQ Sauce  (From my daughter-in-law's family reunion cookbook)
A Gluten Free Twist on Tarragon Chicken - From my Come & Dine cookbook

Chicken Casseroles
Chicken Divan  - From my Come & Dine Cookbook
Chicken Pot Pie - A combination of 3 different recipes!

2 comments:

  1. ◑ I'd eat a plate of that any day. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. This chicken cacciatore recipe tastes as good as it looks! I was really glad that the different things I put together from all these recipes came out tasting so fantastic because it doesn't always turn out as you probably know.

    ReplyDelete