Gluten Free & God Seeking

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Make Your Own Gyros With Jer D's Outstanding Chicken Souvlaki

This is an excellent recipe for chicken souvlaki that comes from my Italian son-in-law. 
We served these gyros with herbed rice and Greek Salad.  I put mine in lettuce wraps and it was still delicious!

   I added more balsamic than his recipe calls for.  This souvlaki is so mouth watering and the homemade tzatziki sauce that I picked up from All Recipes is perfect!

Chicken Souvlaki for Gyros - for 8
 
1.  Prepare Souvlaki Marinade -   Mix in a bowl:
(1)    1/2 cup balsamic and 1/2 cup olive oil
(2)    Add  2 cloves of minced garlic and  1/4 t oregano
(3)  Then stir in  1/2 t salt and 1/2 t of black pepper 
 
2.  Prepare chicken: 
(1)  Rinse a 4 lb bag of chicken tenderloin pieces. 
(2)   Put chicken in resealable bag and pour enough marinade over it to adequately coat it and  put in the refrigerator for 6 hours or overnight is best!

3Tzatziki Sauce (cucumber sauce): 
(1)  Toss ½ cup of shredded cucumber with 1 teaspoon salt, and allow to sit at least 5 minutes.
(2)   In a medium bowl, mix 1 cup of yogurt, ¼ cup of sour cream, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, ½ T rice vinegar, and 1 t olive oil. 
(3)  Season with 1 clove of minced garlic,  and 1 T fresh dill. 
(4)  Squeeze the cucumber to remove any excess water; stir into sauce. 
(5)  Season to taste with ½ t salt and ¼ t pepper. 
(6)  Refrigerate in serving bowl until ready to use.

4. Arrange condiment platter: 
(1)  Thinly slice 1 red onion
(2)  Slice or chop 1-2 tomato
(3)  Slice 1/2 cup kalamata olives and 1/2 cup pepperoncini.  
(4)  Rinse romaine lettuce and slice.  Put some larger pieces for gluten free lettuce wraps!!
(5) 1+ cups feta cheese.

5. Grilling the chicken: 
(1)   Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.  Brush the grill with oil if you want to make sure it doesn't stick.
(2)  Remove chicken from marinade and place on prepared grill. 
(3)  Discard remaining marinade. 
(4) Grill chicken until juices run clear, about 4 minutes on each side.
(5)   Remove chicken from heat, and allow to sit a few minutes before slicing into thin strips.


6.  Optional - Warm up pita shells:  Place pita rounds on the grill, and cook for about 2 minutes or until warm, turning frequently to avoid burning. (We didn't do this, and they were still great!)

7.  Assemble Spread  tzatziki sauce over the pita shell, fill with chicken, condiments, and sprinkle feta cheese over the top.  For gluten free eaters:  Put sauce on lettuce leaves and stuff with chicken, tomatoes, and onions or make a salad out of it. 
        
List of other chicken recipes on this blog:

Asian:

Authentic Chinese BBQ Chicken  (From my friend Rose)
Gluten Free Soy Sauce Chicken   (Modified from Internet search)
Tasty Gluten Free Filipino Chicken Adobo  (Modified from Internet search)
Gluten Free Sweet & Sour Chicken (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)

Italian & Greek:
Chicken Souvlaki   (Marinade for chicken from my son-in-law)
Gluten Free Chicken Cacciatore With Peppers & Mushrooms  (Modified from my mother-in-law)
Delicious Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan   (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)

Mexican:
Pollo Guisado (Mexican Braised Chicken)  (From a church friend in Phoenix)
Belizean Chicken, Black Beans & Rice, and Belizean Coleslaw  (From my daughter's family)

American Favorites:
Amazing BBQ Chicken    (From my daughter-in-law's family reunion cookbook)
The Best Gluten Free Oven Fried Chicken   (From my sister-in-law)
Fantastic Gluten Free Chicken Kabobs  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Great for Summer BBQ - Lemon Rosemary Chicken Legs  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Country Apple Chicken  (From my church cookbook Come & Dine)
The Best Homemade Chicken BBQ Sauce  (From my daughter-in-law's family reunion cookbook)

2 comments:

  1. I love Greek food! I'm glad that you've been trying different recipes from around the world and I will definitely have to share some of my favorite Filipino recipes the next time I'm in town. Looking forward to trying out one of your new dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We would love to have you cook for us the next time you come up to visit! I haven't eaten that many Filipino dishes. Bring up one of your mother's favorites!

    ReplyDelete