Gluten Free & God Seeking

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Delicious Gluten Free Chicken Tetrazzini

A few weeks ago I made chicken tetrazzini for the first time. I've heard of it,
but never bothered to look it up. Every Thursday I try to cook a pasta dish, and I was running out of ideas, and this recipe in my daughter's family reunion cookbook looked good.


While  I was preparing it, I checked it against  this recipe on Food Network, and what I've added here from that one is the milk and more salt and pepper.
 I found out while cooking the white sauce, that I needed to add more milk than the recipe called for anyway.  It was so good!







Gluten Free Chicken Tetrazzini

1.  Prepare chicken:  Poach 2 chicken breasts in about 2 cups of water for about 20 minutes or until done.  Drain the liquid into a measuring cup (You will use this for the sauce later).  Then cube the chicken and put in a bowl and set aside.

2.  Prepare vegetables: 
(1)  Dice 1 large red/sweet onion
(2)  Chop 1 green pepper
(3)  Mince 3-4 cloves of garlic.
(4)  Optional:  Slice 1 cup of white mushrooms

3.  Saute vegetables:  Put 2 T of oil into a skillet and cook vegetables about 5 minutes, add the garlic the last 30 seconds or so. 

4.  Prepare noodles:  Cook according to the package 12 oz of gluten free spiral pasta (I used that) or spaghetti broken into thirds is what the original recipe calls for.  The food network recipe calls for fettuccine.

5.  Prepare white sauce: 
(1)    Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a saucepan/skillet and stir in 1/4 cup of rice flour, 1 t salt, and 1 t pepper and cook stirring constantly until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
(2)    Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of chicken broth (add enough liquid to the poaching water and stir in 1 1/2 T of chicken bouillon with a fork), add 3 cups of milk and 1 cup of heavy whipping cream.  
(3)  Put back on the stove and heat to boiling stirring constantly.  Boil and stir for 1 minute.  Add any additional milk if it seems to be too thick. 
(4)  Taste and make any seasoning adjustments.  

6.   Combine ingredients:  
(1)  Stir cooked noodles, chicken, and sautéed vegetables into the sauce.
(2)  Pour into a 2-quart casserole dish. 
(3)   Sprinkle with 1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese and cook for 30 minutes covered and 10 minutes uncovered.  As you can see I used colby-jack cheese.

Serve with salad and garlic bread.

Other Italian & Greek Pasta Recipes on This Blog:

Italian & Greek Chicken:
Incredible Gluten Free Chicken Souvlaki   (My son-in-law's marinade recipe)
Chicken Cacciatore with Peppers & Mushrooms  (My mother-in-law)
You've Got to Try This Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan!  (From my church cook book, Come & Dine)

Pasta Cassroles:
The Best Gluten Free Lasagna   (From my church Come & Dine cookbook)
Delicious Gluten Free Chicken Tetrazzini     (From my daughter-in-law's family cookbook)

 Classic Pastas:
My Mom's Splendiferous Gluten Free Spaghetti  (My mother's amazing sauce!)
Ginger's Family Favorite Gluten Free Beef Stroganof   (From my friend Ginger)
Gluten Free Pasta Aioli - Sausage & Vegetable Penne  (From my daughter and son-in-law)
Incredible Gluten Free Pasta Primavera     (Combination of two Internet searches)
Fantastic Gluten Free Salmon Fettucine 
Easy to Make Gluten Free Shrimp Linguini   (From my Syre School Cookbook)

Mac & Cheeses
Fantastic Gluten Free Macaroni & Cheese  (Modified from Heritage & Internet search)
Gluten Free Comfort Food - Downright Delicious Gluten Free Tuna Noodle Casserole  (From my Heritage School Cookbook)

Pizza
Judi's Gluten Free Crazy Crust Pizza -  Spinach, Artichoke & Feta Pizza (From a friend)

Soups:
This is the Best Minestrone Soup!  (From my son's Internet search and tweaking)
Mouth Watering Italian Turkey Sausage Soup   (This is  my friend Debbie's recipe)

Salads:
Tasty Gluten Free Pasta Salad   (I've been making this salad for over 20 years!)
Jeremy D's Sensational Greek Salad  (From my son-in-law who is half Italian)
Michelle's Greek Quinoa Salad   (My daughter came up with this way to use quinoa)

No comments:

Post a Comment