Gluten Free & God Seeking

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Jackson Square Shrimp Salad

  Sometimes when I scan my cookbooks, certain ones catch my eye.  Last summer I saw this recipe for Jackson Square Salad in my Syre School Cookbook. On Mondays I usually make a fish dish, and so on the beautiful 70 degree day we had last week, I decided to make this salad.


    I tweaked it a bit because I didn't have any crab, tomatoes, or roquefort cheese, so I made some comparable adjustments which you will see below.  This entire bowl of salad  was eaten by 5 people!  I think that's the biggest compliment I could have gotten!

     There was a dressing that went with this salad that I will list below, but I used a balsamic dressing that my son-in-law came up with, and it went perfectly and brought out all the flavors.


Jackson Square Shrimp Salad


1.  Prepare lettuce:  Wash 1 head of green leaf lettuce, spin, and then tear into bite-sized pieces.

2.  Prepare vegetables/fruit:
(1)  Cube 1 large avocado.
(2)  Recipe calls for  2 tomatoes cut into quarters, but I didn't have any so  I cubed 1 1/2-2 cups of papaya.
(3)  Dice up 1/2 cup of red onion.  I added this to the recipe.
(4)  Slice 12 olives (I didn't add, so you can decide if you want olives in it or not)

3.  Boil 2 hard cooked eggs.  Chop or slice according to your preference.

4.  Prepare salad:
(1)  Put the lettuce in the bottom of a large salad bowl.
(2)  Top with tomatoes or papaya.
(3)  Scatter red onion over the top.
(4)  Sprinkle 1/4 pound of baby shrimp over the top. (I used a bit more, so add what you like!)
(5)  Then add 2 oz of roquefort cheese or feta over the top.
(6)  Arrange sliced eggs around the edge.

List of Other Salads on this Blog:

Greens/cabbage:
Make it Yourself Thai Peanut Dressing for Mandarin Salad  (My friend Judi's recipe)
KFC Copycat Cole Slaw   (A friend shared this with me)
Belizean Coleslaw    (From Internet search)
Antioxidant Rich Kale Super Salad  (A copycat from a deli, dressing from Syre School Cookbook)

Main Dish Salads
Gluten Free Chinese Chicken Cabbage Salad   (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
Baja Salad with Black Beans & Quinoa  (A remake from something I ate at a restaurant)
Mexican Grilled Salmon & Mango Salad   (From a Betty Crocker summer cookbook)
Jackson Square Shrimp Salad   (From my Syre School cookbook)

Pasta & Quinoa:
Tasty Gluten Free Pasta Salad  (Something I picked up over 20 years ago!)
Vietnamese Vermicelli Salad Bowls   (From an Internet search)
Michelle's Greek Quinoa Salad   (My foodie daughter's own delicious creation!) Another Great Salad with Quinoa - Janah's  Original Quinoa, Cranberry & Feta Salad  (a recipe my daughter came up with)

Vegetable:
Jeremy D's Sensational Greek Salad   (My son-in-law's recipe)
Grandma's Perfect Potato Salad   (Family recipe)
Rose's Refreshing Cucumber Salad   (From a Chinese friend)
A Great BBQ side Salad - Curried Pea Salad  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Dot's Easy Bean Salad  (Recipe from an  83 yr old friend of my father's)

Fruit:
Grandma Marilyn's Frozen Fruit Salad  (My mother-in-law's recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment