Gluten Free & God Seeking

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Jackie's Copycat Kale Super Salad

First off this is a copycat salad.  When we went on a weekend trip in September, we stopped off and picked up some chicken and salads in a deli.  The kale salad was so yummy. I've never had blueberries in a salad before, and all the ingredients were fantastic together. Who would have thought we all said to each other. But it was definitely the citrus dressing that brought everything together.


  I knew I could make this salad myself.
 So when I returned home, I went through my cookbooks to see if there were any salads with an orange vinaigrette.  I found this one in my Syre School Cookbook, and it tasted almost like the one from the deli.


Antioxidant Rich Kale Super Salad

1. Prepare vegetables & fruit:
(1)  Wash 1 small bunch of kale, spin, and then tear into bite size pieces.
(2)  Wash, peel, and grate 1 carrot.
(3)  Dice 1/4 of a red onion.
(4)  Thaw 2/3 cup of blueberries.
(5)  Measure out 1/2 cup of craisins.

2.  Prepare salad: 
(1)  Put kale in the salad bowl and toss with grated carrot.
(2)  Then sprinkle the red onion, blueberries, craisins, and 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds over the top of the salad.

3. Prepare orange vinaigrette - In a glass salad bottle put:
(1)  1 cup of extra virgin olive oil
(2)  1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
(3)  1/2 cup of orange juice and 1/4 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
(4)  1/4 cup of sugar (I often just use 1/8 cup)
(5)  1/2 tsp. of salt and 1/2 tsp. of dry mustard.
(6)  Shake until combined.  And let everyone pour over the salad as much as they would like!

List of Other Salads on this Blog:

Greens/cabbage:
Make it Yourself Thai Peanut Dressing for Mandarin Salad  (My friend Judi's recipe)
KFC Copycat Cole Slaw   (A friend shared this with me)
Belizean Coleslaw    (From Internet search)
Antioxidant Rich Kale Super Salad  (A copycat from a deli, dressing from Syre School Cookbook)

Main Dish Salads
Gluten Free Chinese Chicken Cabbage Salad   (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
Baja Salad with Black Beans & Quinoa  (A remake from something I ate at a restaurant)
Mexican Grilled Salmon & Mango Salad   (From a Betty Crocker summer cookbook)
Jackson Square Shrimp Salad   (From my Syre School cookbook)
A Great Way to Make a Main Dish Salad Out of Your Garden Veggies - Nicoise Salmon Salad  (From my Heritage School Cookbook)

Pasta & Quinoa:
Tasty Gluten Free Pasta Salad  (Something I picked up over 20 years ago!)
Vietnamese Vermicelli Salad Bowls   (From an Internet search)
Michelle's Greek Quinoa Salad   (My foodie daughter's own delicious creation!)
Another Great Salad with Quinoa - Janah's  Original Quinoa, Cranberry & Feta Salad  (a recipe my daughter came up with)
Red Quinoa, Black Bean, & Corn Salad  (A yummy recipe on the Trader Joe's bag of red quinoa)

Vegetable:
Jeremy D's Sensational Greek Salad   (My son-in-law's recipe)
Grandma's Perfect Potato Salad   (My mother-in-law's recipe)
Rose's Refreshing Cucumber Salad   (From a Chinese friend)
A Great BBQ side Salad - Curried Pea Salad  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Dot's Easy Bean Salad  (Recipe from an  83 yr old friend of my father's)

Fruit:
Grandma Marilyn's Frozen Fruit Salad  (My mother-in-law's recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment