Gluten Free & God Seeking

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Make It From Scratch Gluten Free Chicken/Turkey Pot Pie

      Pot pies are so yummy on a rainy fall day.  Last week I took out some turkey I needed to use up and thought I would work on combining the three recipes I have for chicken pot pie into one really great one. So this is a combination of  recipes from Family Circle, and the websites  of Ginger Lemon Girl and Gluten Free Mommy.

Doing this takes time and patience as I'm sure you know.  It's taken me a few years to find the right gluten free topping.  And because of that, this recipe has been tweaked since it was put up.  From experience I feel the gravy and the biscuit topping are the most important part of a pot pie! 

   So it was worth all the effort when everyone told me  I should make this recipe   after Thanksgiving.

Gluten Free Chicken/Turkey Pot Pie 

1.  Prepare turkey/chicken:  If you're not using leftover Thanksgiving turkey, just poach  1 1/2 to 2 pounds of turkey or chicken, and when it's cool to the touch, cut it into 1" pieces.  

2.  Prepare vegetables for steaming:
(1)  Scrub 3 medium potatoes and cube.
(2)  Scrub 2 large carrots and slice into half moons.
(3)  Take 1- 1 1/2 cups of peas out of the freezer.
(4)  Steam the potatoes and carrots for about 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.  Add peas to the top and put lid on.  Put aside until needed.

3.  Prepare vegetables for sauteing.
(1)  Mince 1 yellow onion
(2) Chop 2 stalks of celery
(3)  Mince 1 clove of garlic
(4)  Slice 1/2 cup of mushrooms - Optional
(5)  Put 2 T of coconut oil into a skillet and saute the onion and celery for a few minutes and then add the garlic and mushrooms if you're using.  Saute until onions are translucent.
(6)  Put them in a bowl and add them to the gravy in step 5 below.

4.  Prepare gluten free gravy: 
(1)  Melt 4 T of butter in a saucepan on medium heat and add 4 T of cornstarch/tapioca starch until a thick paste is created (or roux).
(2)  Turn down the heat and whisk in 2 cups of milk and 2 cups of water  (I used the water I poached the chicken in plus some bouillon) or chicken stock.
(3)  Add bouillon and seasonings:  4 t of chicken Better Than Bouillon (if you're  not using the stock), 1 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. black pepper. Whisk mixture for about 10 minutes or until it is thickened to a cream like consistency.  Sometimes I find I need to add a bit more cornstarch if it's not thickening up right or a bit more water if it's too thick. 
(4)  Stir in 1/4 tsp. thyme, 2 T of fresh parsley chopped,  and if you like 1 T of Costco's Organic No-Salt Seasoning or something similar.
(5)  Add the sautéed vegetables.Taste and adjust any seasonings.
(6)  Remove from heat until needed.

5.  Make a gluten free biscuit topping:  or use your favorite gluten free dough. This is my friend Judi's biscuit recipe:  
 (1)  In a medium sized bowl add 2/3 cup white rice flour, 2/3 cup of sorghum flour, and 2/3 cup of tapioca flour.  2 tsp. baking powder, 1 tsp. baking soda, and 1 tsp. salt. 
(2)  Cut in 4 T of butter until the dough is like peas.
(3)  Stir in 1 cup of buttermilk.   Adjust dough consistency to get it right.

6.  Assemble pot pie - in a 9 x 13 pan:
(1) Arrange cubed chicken on the bottom of the pan.
(2)  Lay steamed vegetables over the chicken.
(3)  Pour gravy over the chicken and vegetables.
(4)  Drop the biscuit topping over the top.
(5)  Bake at 375-400 for 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden.  
  
List of other chicken recipes on this blog:

Asian:
Authentic Chinese BBQ Chicken  (From my friend Rose)
Gluten Free Soy Sauce Chicken   (Modified from Internet search)
Tasty Gluten Free Filipino Chicken Adobo  (Modified from Internet search)
Gluten Free Sweet & Sour Chicken (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)

Italian & Greek:
Chicken Souvlaki   (Marinade for chicken from my son-in-law)
Gluten Free Chicken Cacciatore With Peppers & Mushrooms  (Modified from my mother-in-law)
Delicious Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan   (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)

Mexican:
Pollo Guisado (Mexican Braised Chicken)  (From a church friend in Phoenix)
Belizean Chicken, Black Beans & Rice, and Belizean Coleslaw  (From my daughter's family)

American Favorites:
Amazing BBQ Chicken    (From my daughter-in-law's family reunion cookbook)
The Best Gluten Free Oven Fried Chicken   (From my sister-in-law)
Fantastic Gluten Free Chicken Kabobs  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Great for Summer BBQ - Lemon Rosemary Chicken Legs  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Country Apple Curried Chicken  (From my church cookbook Come & Dine)
The Best Homemade Chicken BBQ Sauce  (From my daughter-in-law's family reunion cookbook)

Chicken Casseroles
Chicken Divan  - From my Come & Dine Cookbook
Chicken Pot Pie - A combination of 3 different recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment