Gluten Free & God Seeking

Sunday, September 27, 2015

A Gluten Free Twist on Tarragon Chicken

I've never had tarragon chicken before.  Not that that's monumental or anything.  I've wondered for a long time what this herb tasted like because I have some recipes that called for it.  So last year I planted some tarragon, but I never used it in anything.  


  This year wanted to try this recipe in my Come & Dine Cookbook.  Bit by bit I worked through the recipe, but I had the extra challenge of  making my own gluten free version of cream of chicken soup. It pretty much is a glorified white sauce with a lot of seasonings.  But don't let that fool you--it's good!

Trying out a new recipe always makes me a bit nervous.  You can tell from the picture of my dinner plate I was working to make this an extra special meal.   Ahhh, it was.  When we took our first bite of this tarragon chicken, we were like yum!  It tasted like something we'd order at a restaurant--it was that good!  


Tarragon Chicken  - Serves 6

1.  Prepare chicken -  This recipe says you can either use 3 whole chicken breasts split in half or 1 3 1/2 pound chicken cut in pieces.  I usually skin my chicken to remove excess fat.

2.  Make gluten free cream of chicken soup: 
(1)   In a skillet put 2 T of butter and whisk in 1/4 cup of tapioca starch until smooth.  
(2)  Then add 10 oz of milk, 1/8 cup of chicken Better Than Bouillon, 1/2 tsp. basil, 1/2 t thyme, 1 1/2 tsp. of  dried tarragon, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. black pepper.
(3)  Continue whisking until thickened.  Add extra milk/water to get the right consistency.  
3.  Prepare vegetables:  Coarsely chop 2 medium-size onions.  The recipe says it's optional if you want to add 1 can of mushroom  stems and pieces.

4.  Prepare chicken to baking:
(1)  Arrange chicken in a 9 x 13 baking pan.
(2)  Sprinkle onions and mushrooms if using over the chicken.
(3)  Spoon mushroom soup over the chicken.

5.  Baking instructions:  Bake uncovered at 375 for 45 minutes.  Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of slivered almonds and bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until meat near the bone is no longer pink when slashed.  

List of other chicken recipes on this blog:

Asian:
Authentic Chinese BBQ Chicken  (From my friend Rose)
Gluten Free Soy Sauce Chicken   (Modified from Internet search)
Tasty Gluten Free Filipino Chicken Adobo  (Modified from Internet search)
Gluten Free Sweet & Sour Chicken (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)

Italian & Greek:
Chicken Souvlaki   (Marinade for chicken from my son-in-law)
Gluten Free Chicken Cacciatore With Peppers & Mushrooms  (Modified from my mother-in-law)
Delicious Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan   (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)

Mexican:
Pollo Guisado (Mexican Braised Chicken)  (From a church friend in Phoenix)
Belizean Chicken, Black Beans & Rice, and Belizean Coleslaw  (From my daughter's family)

American Favorites:
Amazing BBQ Chicken    (From my daughter-in-law's family reunion cookbook)
The Best Gluten Free Oven Fried Chicken   (From my sister-in-law)
Fantastic Gluten Free Chicken Kabobs  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Great for Summer BBQ - Lemon Rosemary Chicken Legs  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Country Apple Curried Chicken  (From my church cookbook Come & Dine)
The Best Homemade Chicken BBQ Sauce  (From my daughter-in-law's family reunion cookbook)

Chicken Casseroles
Chicken Divan  - From my Come & Dine Cookbook
Chicken/Turkey Pot Pie - A combination of 3 different recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment