Gluten Free & God Seeking

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Another Way to Eat more Antioxidant Rich Kale: Curried Lentil Medley Soup

    Don't turn up your nose at the title of this recipe. Because if you do, you'll miss out on an amazing soup.  Not only does it have protein rich lentils, but it has squash and kale!  And this unique blend of ingredients makes a sumptuous soup!  The curry powder is just enough to add a nice kick to the broth.  This recipe comes from my church Come & Dine cookbook, which like church cookbooks is an amazing resource of tried and true recipes.  Right now my lettuce, spinach, and kale are growing like crazy because of the warm weather.

      Curried Lentil Medley



1.  Prepare vegetables:
(1)  Chop 1/2 cup of onion.
(2)  Mince 1 clove of garlic.
(3)  Cut and cube up 1 1/2 cups of butternut squash (I used sweet potatoes today).
(4)  Coarsely chop medium size bunch of kale (chop up the stems, too!).

2.  Prepare soup:
(1)  Put 2 T of oil into the bottom of a Dutch oven or soup pot and sauté onion until tender.  Then add garlic, 1 T Indian curry powder, 1/2 tsp. ground cumin, 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper, and cook for 1 minute.
(2)  Add 2 cartons (about 27 3/4 oz.) of chicken broth (You can use packaged or make it yourself like I do with about 5 cups of water and  4-5 t of  Organic Better than Bouillon Reduced Sodium Chicken Base), 1 1/2 cups of water, 1 can of diced tomatoes, and 1 cup of dried lentils and cook for 20 minutes.
(3)  Stir in 1 tsp. salt, 3/4 tsp.  black pepper, and the squash. Simmer about 10 more minutes.
(4)  Then add the kale and cook until tender about 10-15 minutes.
(5)  Simmer until ready to serve.

List of My Favorite Soups, Chili & Stew Recipes

Beef 
Grandma's Favorite Beef Stew  (My mother-in-law's delicious recipe!)
Just Like Home Ukrainian Borscht   (A Polish student  said this tasted like his mom's!)
Mouth Watering Italian  Sausage Soup   (This is my friend Debbie's recipe)

Poultry
This is the Best Gluten Free Minestrone Soup!   (A recipe my son modified)
Mexican Fiesta Chicken Soup   (A recipe I got years ago from a Mexican cookbook)
My Thanksgiving Turkey Soup  (My very own special concoction!)
Gary's Incredible Gluten Free Arkansas Gumbo  (Given to me by a Bible study friend from Arkansas)
Jeannie's French Market Soup  (A friend from when my kids were little)
Southwest Turkey Soup  (From my Syre School cookbook)

Fish
Northwest Salmon Chowder  (From my Heritage School cookbook)
Almost Like Ivar's Clam Chowder (From my Come & Dine Cookbook)

Bean & Legumes
Vi's Best Chili  (A  Bible study friend's great recipe)
Bethany's Crowd Pleasing Tortilla Soup  (One of my daughter's friends special soup)
Country Style Lentil Soup   (From my Heritage School cookbook)
Kathy's Texas Chili & Chips (From my church Come & Dine cookbook)
Spicy Cuban Black Bean Soup (From a store recipe card)
Marilyn's Make It From Scratch Chili  (From my mother-in-law)
Lisa's Red Lentil Soup (From my friend Lisa)

Vegetable
Downright Delicious Potato & Kale Soup  (From my daughter-in-law's family cookbook)
A Great Fall Soup - Make it From Scratch Corn Potato Chowder  (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
French Pumpkin Soup  (From my Heritage School Cookbook)

Asian
Chinese Chicken Soups  - Bok choy chicken, chicken & spinach, and chicken & cabbage (Modified from Internet search by our Chinese students)
Make Your Own Gluten Free Chicken Pho!  (Modified from a newspaper article)
Gluten Free Chinese Hot Pot  (Modified by a Chinese student)
Chinese Egg Drop Soup  &  Chinese Egg & Tomato Soup  (Modified  from a student's recipe)
Vegetarian & Gluten Free Tom Yum Soup (A delicious Thai soup) 
Deluxe Miso Soup (Kenchinjiru)   (Adapted from Internet search)
A Thai Mom Teaches Me How to Make Tom Yum Kung  (A student's mom's recipe)
A Vietnamese Cooking Lesson - Lien's Vietnamese Sweet & Sour Soup  (An International student's aunt's recipe)
Cooking Beef Pho for Vietnamese Students  (Modified Recipe)
Asian Curried Chicken Soup  (From my Come & Dine church cookbook)
Rose's Chinese Beef Bone Soup    (From my Chinese friend Rose) 

No comments:

Post a Comment