Gluten Free & God Seeking

Friday, March 9, 2018

A Favorite of the Irish - Mulligan Stew

This week I read a St. Patrick's book to a kindergarten class, and it mentioned Mulligan stew.  I remembered seeing that recipe in my Come & Dine church cookbook. I never tried it because it looked a bit different with Vienna sausages and cheese. Mulligan stew includes meat, potatoes, and vegetables, and I learned that you can add pretty much any kind of vegetable to it.  I've never made it before, but I plan to try it out this next week.

  In my recipe they made hamburger into patties and cooked on top of the vegetables.  So I checked about three websites to compare it with others.  Here is my outcome--I added a few more ingredients, and cut out the sausages and the cheese! 

MULLIGAN STEW

1.  Prepare veggies:
(1)  Cube 2-3 russet potatoes
(2)  Cut 2-3 carrots into 1/2" slices
(3)  Chop 1 onion
(4)  Cut 2 ribs of celery in 1" slices
(5)  Mince 2 cloves of garlic

2.  Prepare meat:  My church recipe calls for ground beef, but I also saw recipes for 1 pound of cubed stew meat.  You dredge this with 1/4 cup of rice flour and brown it in a Dutch oven with the onions and garlic.

3.  Then add 20 oz of beef broth.  You will need enough to cover the vegetables so you may need to add a bit of water to it.

4.  Add spices:  Add 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of thyme.

5.  Let this simmer for 40 minutes.  Then add the potatoes and carrots and let simmer an hour or more.  Add 1 cup of peas during the last 30 minutes.

Serve with homemade biscuits.

List of My Favorite Soups, Chili & Stew Recipes

Beef 
Grandma's Favorite Beef Stew  (My mother-in-law's delicious recipe!)
Just Like Home Ukrainian Borscht   (A Polish student  said this tasted like his mom's!)
Mouth Watering Italian  Sausage Soup   (This is my friend Debbie's recipe)

Poultry
This is the Best Gluten Free Minestrone Soup!   (A recipe my son modified)
Mexican Fiesta Chicken Soup   (A recipe I got years ago from a Mexican cookbook)
My Thanksgiving Turkey Soup  (My very own special concoction!)
Gary's Incredible Gluten Free Arkansas Gumbo  (Given to me by a Bible study friend from Arkansas)
Jeannie's French Market Soup  (A friend from when my kids were little)
Southwest Turkey Soup  (From my Syre School cookbook)

Fish
Northwest Salmon Chowder  (From my Heritage School cookbook)
Almost Like Ivar's Clam Chowder (From my Come & Dine Cookbook)

Bean & Legumes
Vi's Best Chili  (A  friend's great recipe)
Bethany's Crowd Pleasing Tortilla Soup  (One of my daughter's friends special soup)
Country Style Lentil Soup   (From my Heritage School cookbook)
Kathy's Texas Chili & Chips (From my Come & Dine cookbook)
Spicy Cuban Black Bean Soup (From a store recipe card)
Marilyn's Make It From Scratch Chili  (From my mother-in-law)
Lisa's Red Lentil Soup - From my friend Lisa

Vegetable
Downright Delicious Potato & Kale Soup  (From my daughter-in-law's family cookbook)
A Great Fall Soup - Make it From Scratch Corn Potato Chowder  (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
French Pumpkin Soup  (From my Heritage School Cookbook)

Asian
Chinese Chicken Soups  - Bok choy chicken, chicken & spinach, and chicken & cabbage (Modified from Internet search by our Chinese students)
Make Your Own Gluten Free Chicken Pho!  (Modified from a newspaper article)
Gluten Free Chinese Hot Pot  (Modified by a Chinese student)
Chinese Egg Drop Soup  &  Chinese Egg & Tomato Soup  (Modified  from a student's recipe)
Vegetarian & Gluten Free Tom Yum Soup (A delicious Thai soup) 
Deluxe Miso Soup (Kenchinjiru)   (Adapted from Internet search)
A Thai Mom Teaches Me How to Make Tom Yum Kung  (A student's mom's recipe)
A Vietnamese Cooking Lesson - Lien's Vietnamese Sweet & Sour Soup  (An International student's aunt's recipe)
Cooking Beef Pho for Vietnamese Students  (Modified Recipe)
Asian Curried Chicken Soup  (From my Come & Dine church cookbook)
Rose's Very Own Recipe for Chinese Beef Bone Soup  (from Rose my friend from Taipei)

No comments:

Post a Comment