Gluten Free & God Seeking

Saturday, March 24, 2018

Savory Chicken Mornay - Easy to Make Gluten Free!

    I first had this recipe when I was in junior high and the woman who made it just called it chicken broccoli.  It was one of my favorite casseroles because of the way all the flavors seemed to explode in my mouth. 

Anyway today I was looking through my Come & Dine church cookbook for a chicken recipe to make for a friend who just got out of the hospital.  Making the gluten free chicken soup for the sauce is a cinch.  I've done it so many times, and it tastes just as good!.  Get all the ingredients together by the stove before you begin and it will be easier.  Enjoy!


Chicken Mornay - Serves 6 to 8

1.  Prepare chicken:  Rinse 3 whole chicken breasts or use 1 whole chicken chopped into pieces. Salt and pepper the chicken and sprinkle lightly with Indian Curry.

2.  Partially cook chicken:  Put 1/4 of a cube of butter into an 8 x 8 baking pan and melt it at 350.  Then add the chicken pieces and bake for 30 minutes.

3.  Meanwhile make gluten free cream of chicken soup:
(1)  In a pan melt 2 T of butter and stir into it 1/4 cup of tapioca starch. 
(2)  Whisk in 10  ounces of milk
(3)  Stir in 1/2 tsp. dried basil, 1/2 tsp. thyme, 1/2-1 tsp. of salt, and 1/4 tsp. black pepper. 
(4)  Then add 1 tablespoon of Better Than Chicken Bouillon,  and 1 teaspoon of Indian curry. 
(5)  Stir in 2/3 cup mayo, and 1/3 cup evap. milk Taste and make any adjustments.

4.  Arrange casserole in a 9 x 13 casserole pan OR put in a crock pot:
(1)  Arrange 20 oz. of frozen broccoli on the bottom of the pan.
(2)  Lay chicken pieces over the top.
(3)  Pour the sauce over the chicken.
(4)  Sprinkle with 2/3 cup of cheddar cheese.

Bake at 350 for 30 more minutes or until browned on top.

Note:  You can prepare this casserole in advance and refrigerate until cooking.  Just add 10 more minutes to the cooking time.

You can also make this recipe with some rice and layer it on top of the chicken or serve it on the side.

 List of other chicken recipes on this blog:

Asian:
Authentic Chinese BBQ Chicken  (From my friend Rose)
Gluten Free Soy Sauce Chicken   (Modified from Internet search)
Tasty Gluten Free Filipino Chicken Adobo  (Modified from Internet search)
Gluten Free Sweet & Sour Chicken (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Make Your Own G.F. Teriyaki Bowls  (From me!)

Italian & Greek:
Chicken Souvlaki   (Marinade for chicken from my son-in-law)
Gluten Free Chicken Cacciatore With Peppers & Mushrooms  (Modified from my mother-in-law)
Delicious Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan   (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
My Son-in-Law's Own Recipe for Greek Chicken
Delicious Chicken Florentine Lasagna  (From my church cookbook)

Mexican:
Pollo Guisado (Mexican Braised Chicken)  (From a church friend in Phoenix)
Belizean Chicken, Black Beans & Rice, and Belizean Coleslaw  (From my daughter's family)
Make Your Own Chicken Burrito Bowls (From a collection of my recipes)

American Favorites:
Amazing BBQ Chicken    (From my daughter-in-law's family reunion cookbook)
The Best Gluten Free Oven Fried Chicken   (From my sister-in-law)
Fantastic Gluten Free Chicken Kabobs  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Great for Summer BBQ - Lemon Rosemary Chicken Legs  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Curried Mushroom & Apple Chicken  (From my church cookbook Come & Dine)
The Best Homemade Chicken BBQ Sauce  (From my daughter-in-law's family reunion cookbook)
A Gluten Free Twist on Tarragon Chicken - From my  church Come & Dine cookbook
Saucy Chicken 
Chicken & Mushrooms in Wine Sauce   -( From my church Come & Dine cookbook)
Our Family's Fall Favorite - Chicken & Zucchini Casserole with Gluten Free Biscuit Topping - -( From my church Come & Dine cookbook)
Blackberry BBQ Chicken - A Tasty Sauce You'll Have to Try! (Off a package of blackberries)
Ray's BBQ Chicken - (From my daughter-in-law's family cookbook)
Country Style BBQ Chicken - (From my daughter-in-law's family cookbook)

Chicken Casseroles
Chicken Divan  - From my Come & Dine Cookbook
Chicken Pot Pie - A combination of 3 different recipes!

2 comments: