Gluten Free & God Seeking

Thursday, July 30, 2015

A Great Summer Side - Broccoli Salad

    The list of ingredients doesn't always tell you how somethings going to end up tasting! And that's really true for this broccoli salad.  I was making this salad with a mother from Taiwan whose son is going to YMCA camp here, and she, of course, loves broccoli but never saw it put in the same bowl with bacon, sunflower seeds, and raisins!  She was surprised when she took a bite and found out that it tasted delicious!   We had this salad with BBQ burgers, pasta salad, and Kale Copycat Super Salad (listed below).  

  This recipe comes from my Syre School cookbook, and I've listed any changes to the recipe in blue.  


Broccoli Salad - 
Serves 6 to 8

1.  Prepare vegetables:
(1)  Slice 1 bunch of broccoli into flowerets
(2)  Chop 1/2 cup of red onions
(3)  Chop 1 cup of celery

2.  Fry 6 slices of bacon (The recipe calls for a pound--It was great with only 6 slices!) and drain on a napkin.

3.  Make dressing - Whisk together in a bowl:  3/4 cup of mayonnaise, 1/8 cup of sugar (The recipe calls for 1/4 cup) and 2 T of vinegar.

4.  In a serving bowl put:
(1)  All the chopped vegetables
(2)  Fried bacon broken into pieces.
(3)  1/2 cup of sunflower seeds
(4)  1/2 cup of raisins.

List of Other Salads on this Blog:

Greens/cabbage:
Make it Yourself Thai Peanut Dressing for Mandarin Salad  (My friend Judi's recipe)
KFC Copycat Cole Slaw   (A friend shared this with me)
Belizean Coleslaw    (From Internet search)
Jackie's Copycat Kale Super Salad  (A copycat from a deli, dressing from Syre School Cookbook)

Main Dish Salads
Gluten Free Chinese Chicken Cabbage Salad   (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
Baja Salad with Black Beans & Quinoa  (A remake from something I ate at a restaurant)
Jackson Square Shrimp Salad   (From my Syre School cookbook)
A Great Way to Make a Main Dish Salad Out of Your Garden Veggies - Nicoise Salmon Salad  (From my Heritage School Cookbook)

Pasta & Quinoa:
Tasty Gluten Free Pasta Salad  (Something I picked up over 20 years ago!)
Vietnamese Vermicelli Salad Bowls   (From an Internet search)
Michelle's Greek Quinoa Salad   (My foodie daughter's own delicious creation!)
Another Great Salad with Quinoa - Janah's  Original Quinoa, Cranberry & Feta Salad  (a recipe my daughter came up with)
Red Quinoa, Black Bean, & Corn Salad  (A yummy recipe on the Trader Joe's bag of red quinoa)
Make It Yourself GF Macaroni Salad

Vegetable:
Jeremy D's Sensational Greek Salad   (My son-in-law's recipe)
Grandma's Perfect Potato Salad   (My mother-in-law's recipe)
Rose's Refreshing Cucumber Salad   (From a Chinese friend)
A Great BBQ side Salad - Curried Pea Salad  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Dot's Easy Bean Salad  (Recipe from an  83-yr-old friend of my father's)

Fruit:
Grandma Marilyn's Frozen Fruit Salad  (My mother-in-law's recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment