Gluten Free & God Seeking

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Make It Yourself GF Macaroni Salad

Sometimes I want a typical deli macaroni salad.  As I was making my menu a few weeks ago, I noticed this recipe for macaroni salad in my Syre Cookbook.  I decided yesterday to try it out.

  The original recipe calls for 3 cans of small shrimp, but I just wanted a plain macaroni salad.  When I took it out an hour ago to taste it and see what it needed, I added a bit more mayo and 1 T of Costco's No Salt Seasoning because with just salt and pepper, it needed a bit more seasonings.  I really like the way Costco's No Salt Seasoning doctors up a recipe.  I'm going to serve this salad tonight with some BBQ chicken and KFC Copycat Cole Slaw.  


GF Macaroni Salad


1.  Prepare  noodles:  Put a 16 oz bag of gluten free macaroni or spiral noodles according to directions.  Put in serving bowl and let the noodles completely cool.



2.  Prepare vegetables: 
(1)  Chop up 3-4 stalks of celery.
(2)  Chop  4-6 sweet pickles.
(3)  Slice 1/2 can of olives.
(4)  Slice 3-4 green onions.
(5)  3-4 hard-boiled eggs diced (The recipe calls for 5)
(6)  Optional:  Add 1 chopped carrot and 1/2  zucchini.

3.  Prepare dressing - In a medium-sized mixing bowl put:
(1)  2 cups of mayonnaise  (it may need about 1/2 cup more later)
(2)  Stir in 1/4 cup of sweet pickle juice and 1/4-1/2  cup of ketchup.
(3)  Then stir in 1 t salt, 1/2 t black pepper, and 1 T Costco's No Salt Seasoning.

4.  Combine ingredients:  
(1)  Add the chopped vegetables to the cooled noodles.
(2)  Then add the dressing and stir to combine.
(3)  Taste and make any adjustments.

5.  Put in fridge overnight.   Taste and make any adjustments--needs more mayo?  more salt?  more No Salt Seasoning?


List of Other Salads on this Blog:

Greens/cabbage:
Make it Yourself Thai Peanut Dressing for Mandarin Salad  (My friend Judi's recipe)
KFC Copycat Cole Slaw   (A friend shared this with me)
Belizean Coleslaw    (From Internet search)
Jackie's Copycat Kale Super Salad  (A copycat from a deli, dressing from Syre School Cookbook)

Main Dish Salads
Gluten Free Chinese Chicken Cabbage Salad   (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
Baja Salad with Black Beans & Quinoa  (A remake from something I ate at a restaurant)
Jackson Square Shrimp Salad   (From my Syre School cookbook)
A Great Way to Make a Main Dish Salad Out of Your Garden Veggies - Nicoise Salmon Salad  (From my Heritage School Cookbook)

Pasta & Quinoa:
Tasty Gluten Free Pasta Salad  (Something I picked up over 20 years ago!)
Vietnamese Vermicelli Salad Bowls   (From an Internet search)
Michelle's Greek Quinoa Salad   (My foodie daughter's own delicious creation!)
Another Great Salad with Quinoa - Janah's  Original Quinoa, Cranberry & Feta Salad  (a recipe my daughter came up with)
Red Quinoa, Black Bean, & Corn Salad  (A yummy recipe on the Trader Joe's bag of red quinoa)

Vegetable:
Jeremy D's Sensational Greek Salad   (My son-in-law's recipe)
Grandma's Perfect Potato Salad   (My mother-in-law's recipe)
Rose's Refreshing Cucumber Salad   (From a Chinese friend)
A Great BBQ side Salad - Curried Pea Salad  (From my church cookbook, Come & Dine)
Dot's Easy Bean Salad  (Recipe from an  83-yr-old friend of my father's)

Fruit:
Grandma Marilyn's Frozen Fruit Salad  (My mother-in-law's recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment