Gluten Free & God Seeking

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Incredible Gluten Free Pasta Primavera


  I've always wanted to try pasta primavera.  It sounded exotic.  One time I went out with my daughter  and she ordered it, and I looked longingly at the zucchini, summer squash, broccoli, peppers, and carrots  floating in a white sauce atop a mound of pasta while I ate my salad.  

  Anyway in September I ate at a restaurant in Ashland, Oregon that carried a gluten  free version of this dish. This restaurant  overlooked a walkway along a river, and it was just beautiful.  I was waiting with  anticipation for our food to come, and when I took my first bite, I was wow am I glad I ordered it!   It was bursting with fresh broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, and peppers. By the way the Alfredo sauce for this recipe comes from my daughter-in-law's family reunion cookbook.  


Incredible Gluten Free Pasta Primavera

1.  Prepare vegetables:
(1)  Slice 1 small zucchini and 1 yellow squash and cut in half moon shapes.
(2)  Cut up 1 cup of broccoli florets, and 1 cup of cauliflower florets.
(3)  Thinly slice 1 red and 1 green pepper into strips.
(4)  Finely chop 1 small onion (more if you like more, I usually put a lot of onion into my foods)
(5)  Slice 2 carrots into strips. (This came from another site)
(6)  7-8 asparagus spears, cut into 4ths (or in winter why not use 1 cup of green beans?)
(7)  8-10 cherry tomatoes  sliced in half or 2 romas sliced.
(8) Thinly slice 4 cloves of garlic. (My son-in-law uses 6 cloves.)
(9)  10-15 basil leaves chopped or 1/4 cup of parsley (celiac.com )
(10)  Optional:   1 cup of sliced mushrooms (saw on another site!)

2.  Grate 1 cup of Parmesan cheese. 

3.  Prepare noodles:
(1)  Cook 16 oz of gluten free fettuccine pasta al dente.
(2)  Drain

4.  Cook vegetables: (I like to use my cast iron skillet for this)
 Put 1-2 T of butter into a skillet and saute vegetables (except garlic and tomatoes) until they are crisp tender.

5. Make Alfredo sauce - In a large skillet: 
(1)   In a separate pan put 2 T of butter and warm up on medium high heat. 
(2) Add 1 1/2 cups of whipping cream and bring to a boil stirring constantly until it becomes shiny with large bubbles.  Set aside until needed.

6.  Assemble:
(1)  Add the drained pasta to the Alfredo sauce.
(2)  Then add the grated Parmesan.
(4)  Then add 1 cup of whipping cream, 1/4 cup of milk a little at a time. 
(5)  Then add 1/2 tsp. of black pepper and 1/8 tsp. of nutmeg. 
(6)  Then add the vegetables, tomatoes, and fresh parsley or chopped basil.

Serve with salad.  Bring some extra Parmesan to the table and your pepper grinder.



Other Italian & Greek Pasta Recipes on This Blog:

Italian & Greek Chicken:
Incredible Gluten Free Chicken Souvlaki   (My son-in-law's marinade recipe)
Chicken Cacciatore with Peppers & Mushrooms  (My mother-in-law)
You've Got to Try This Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan!  (From my church cook book, Come & Dine)

Pasta Cassroles:
The Best Gluten Free Lasagna   (From my church Come & Dine cookbook)
Delicious Gluten Free Chicken Tetrazzini     (From my daughter-in-law's family cookbook)

 Classic Pastas:
My Mom's Splendiferous Gluten Free Spaghetti  (My mother's amazing sauce!)
Ginger's Family Favorite Gluten Free Beef Stroganof   (From my friend Ginger)
Gluten Free Pasta Aioli - Sausage & Vegetable Penne  (From my daughter and son-in-law)
Incredible Gluten Free Pasta Primavera     (Combination of two Internet searches)
Fantastic Gluten Free Salmon Fettucine 
Easy to Make Gluten Free Shrimp Linguini   (From my Syre School Cookbook)

Mac & Cheeses
Fantastic Gluten Free Macaroni & Cheese  (Modified from Heritage & Internet search)
Gluten Free Comfort Food - Downright Delicious Gluten Free Tuna Noodle Casserole  (From my Heritage School Cookbook)
Northwest Crab Mac & Cheese  - From a 5th grade friend's recipe project
Whidbey Island Crab & Noodle Bake - A classy crab mac & cheese recipe from my mother-in-law

Pizza
Judi's Gluten Free Crazy Crust Pizza -  Spinach, Artichoke & Feta Pizza (From a friend)

Soups:
This is the Best Minestrone Soup!  (From my son's Internet search and tweaking)
Mouth Watering Italian Turkey Sausage Soup   (This is  my friend Debbie's recipe)

Salads:
Tasty Gluten Free Pasta Salad   (I've been making this salad for over 20 years!)
Jeremy D's Sensational Greek Salad  (From my son-in-law who is half Italian)
Michelle's Greek Quinoa Salad   (My daughter came up with this way to use quinoa)

No comments:

Post a Comment